Timeline: Get your tinfoil out.

Cr1028

I think maybe I can clear this up. Shep acknowledges that #5 is only in our program because of nepotism. Shep is saying that #5 is not the starter because of nepotism, but that he is just the quarterback in our program that sucks the least.

Good job. Also, I hope I am wrong and someone else can prove to suck less.

• Upvote 2

I think folks aren't getting DaMarcus' references (and apparent frustration) with his several tweets about this movie. I'm there with him.

Here's the trailer for those that haven't watched it in a while. It interestingly offers a lot of parallels.

https://youtu.be/RN7sKvaHDlA?t=30s 

For those that remember the plot line, these tweets should be very unsettling. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think folks aren't getting DaMarcus' references (and apparent frustration) with his several tweets about this movie. I'm there with him.

Here's the trailer for those that haven't watched it in a while. It interestingly offers a lot of parallels.

https://youtu.be/RN7sKvaHDlA?t=30s 

Oh my god, it's perfect. I think we've discovered a potential GIF goldmine for this season.

• Upvote 1

Mac is pretty consistent in his operation/evaluation of all players.  Not just QB.  He is old school and his tolerance for mistakes is low.  I know there are mistakes made in games, but if you are making them in practice, you won't play.  You will be considered not ready.  

Mac is going to choose senority over potential.  Once again, fear of mistakes.

This has been the case in lots of positions.  RB.  2014 Pegram.  2013 whitfield and jackson started at CB.  Spring camp, they said CB play must improve.  It took 2 games to finally make the switch.  

Young players are still with the mindset the talent will win out.  Not here.  You have to be consistent to get mac comfortable and to trust you.  I imagine players like pegram, terrell, mcnulty, etc are vets and they know how to practice and know what the coaches are looking for daily.  

A young player is coming in with the mindset that I have to make big plays to get the coaches attention.  If they see my talent, I can climb the depth chart.  By taking more risks, they make more mistakes. Especially against the 1st team d... While mcnulty is dinking and dunking his way through practice against the 2s and 3s, he looks good.  He knows the tendencies of the players.  He knows who to throw against, and who not to.  

Only problem is our practices are nothing like the games.  It's very obvious that our prep is horrible.  The way our QBS look lost and unprepared shows that he have a hard time simulating game speed and situations.

Spot on. This was cemented for me with Dajon last year. He made terrible mistakes in the games. It basically lost two games for us and then he was through. It didn't matter that he could also move the ball and make the offense look good, he also was losing games by himself. Mac would rather slowly lose than lose quickly.

• Upvote 1

So I like to think i'm one of the more chemically balanced people on the boards (I think we all rationalize it that way). But I'm in complete agreement that it is a bias. I'm not saying it's even conscious, but it is there. I mean look at how people operate at work, in schoolyards, etc. You pick your friends, the people you like and the people you feel respect/value you over others. There's only a handful of people emotionally cold enough to break through this, and usually they are sociopaths. And in business sociopaths tend to be really successful because they cut out the interpersonal value system for success. Mac to me seems like the type of guy who wouldn't start you if he felt disrespected by you. That's not the worst quality in a human being, but you could see how that would affect the decisions he's made as a coach. If you value respect and loyalty, you're going to get those out of a kid like McNulty. If you value football talent above loyalty, intelligence, grades, criminality you'll play the best player regardless of how you feel about them personally.

How many of you got snubbed in High School/Little League for the coaches son? How many of you have seen big title jobs handed to incompetent suck-up employees? How many of you live in an America where politicians favor old friends and donating companies to the actual needs of the country they supposedly serve? It's not ridiculous to weigh in McNulty's personal relationship AND his good ol' boy, hard working, "do the right things" mentality. Mac is drawn to shit like that, even above talent he wants to "do it the right way" with guys who are also "doing the right things". You can hear it in his vernacular. Carlos Harris and Jimmerson sat the first quarter for what i'm going to guess amounts to disrespect. He just prioritizes things differently than uber successful coaches. Some coaches want to win football games above all (crime, drugs, "tutoring"). Some want to do it as what they perceive as "the right way". But this isn't a damn fairytale and the good guy doesn't always win.

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Spot on. This was cemented for me with Dajon last year. He made terrible mistakes in the games. It basically lost two games for us and then he was through. It didn't matter that he could also move the ball and make the offense look good, he also was losing games by himself. Mac would rather slowly lose than lose quickly.

i know sone joke about chico's tests, but the grading and testing is done in a lot of areas.  I'm sure other teams do testing and grading also.  I can bet money that the point scale is different. 

Example: a DB has only 2 passes for a total of 10 yards completed on him and 3 PBUs.  Seems like a nice day for a CB...but if he didn't line up right or use a certain technique, points will be taken off.  If he lined up 6 yards off instead of 5, points off.  If he looked this way instead of that way, points off.  It's heavy technique based and not results based.  

I assume that is why athletes like zed evans and jamal marshall cannot get on the field.  I heard all this hype about marshall and he didn't even play.  Instead it seems like we went out and asked a vet to come back.  Just an example: Marshall may make a mistake, but has the speed to recover and make the play.  Points off.  Results don't matter.

These guys are gonna have to learn how to impress these coaches and get on the field.  I dont think these coaches are going to change.  Do your job, be consistent, use proper technique.  And staying out of trouble and having good manners also helps. 

• Upvote 2

Nobody wants to lose slowly.  It's fairly obvious that Mac thinks that our offense blows.  He's saying it over and over before and after every game, and has been since the first game last season.  I think our staff BADLY wanted DW to be the guy.  It just didn't work out and we've been scrambling ever since.

I'm not saying it's right, but I think some of the problem is a little bit of entitlement. Mac is so old school that he isn't going to just start you because of your skill set. You have to work and grind for it. I think so many of these kids nowadays are worshipped as Gods for their natural football ability and expect to have the starting job handed to them. That's where I applaud McNulty; clearly he is the hardest damn worker on the team and wants to lead the team to victory. Unfortunately I don't think he has the skill set. But he has the ethic and I think is willing to grind for it. He will be an EXTREMELY successful coach somewhere.

I just think that at North Texas, Mac isn't going to give you the job purely based on ability. If you aren't staying late and arriving early going 200% every practice Mac isn't going to reward you like every other program. Dajon had the most talent I think we've seen at QB at NT in years, but it was also glaringly obvious that he wasn't much of a leader and also didn't make bright decisions on field. Berglund totally came here expecting to have the job handed to him.

Not saying that it's right, but I think the problem is where that works are places like K-State which has players begging to go, versus here where you often have to find diamonds in the rough. I mean, hell, Charlie Strong's UT debacle is indicative of this.

Just my two cents, after stepping back from the ledge.

That being said, FTLOG start DeMarcus.

I'm sorry.  Mcnulty may work hard, but that's about it.  He doesn't have the physical skill, and many players lack certain skills, but they still succeed because they have heart.  Working hard doesn't always equate to having heart and being a leader. Working hard doesn't always equate to having the will to win.  Sometimes working hard means, you just work hard and do what you are told.

even with limited capabilities, I saw no heart.  I saw fear.  I saw someone playing it safe.  It was horrible.  Even DT would rip off a few 5 yard runs and an occasional first down.  DT had heart.  McNulty doesnt.  DT left it on the field and tried his best. Sometimes his best wasn't enough. McNulty was scared out there.  4 rushes, 2 yards.  Choke.

• Upvote 6

It's so obvious they wanted Dajon to be the guy. They did give him opportunities. He was always hurt or absent or whatever, but there's absolutely no way something else didn't go on at that UAB game that made Mac give up on him. Sure he was bad, but still he wasn't as bad as Thompson was against Troy in 2012.

it was the pick he threw straight to the defender.  I can see mac saying not knowing the offense and reading denses caused that pick.  It's hard to defend that one.

Dajon off the field issues is why he is gone though.  Not the baby either.  Too many chances.

I'm sorry.  Mcnulty may work hard, but that's about it.  He doesn't have the physical skill, and many players lack certain skills, but they still succeed because they have heart.  Working hard doesn't always equate to having heart and being a leader. Working hard doesn't always equate to having the will to win.  Sometimes working hard means, you just work hard and do what you are told.

even with limited capabilities, I saw no heart.  I saw fear.  I saw someone playing it safe.  It was horrible.  Even DT would rip off a few 5 yard runs and an occasional first down.  DT had heart.  McNulty doesnt.  DT left it on the field and tried his best. Sometimes his best wasn't enough. McNulty was scared out there.  4 rushes, 2 yards.  Choke.

Well put.