Throwing salt on the wound.....

Got5onIt

This guy sits at #3.  Just read the bio......

10 -
DaMarcus Smith
DaMarcus  Smith

Class:
Junior
 Hometown:
Louisville, KY
 Last College:
Butler CC
 Height / Weight:
6-1 / 216
 Position:
QB

Junior College/High School:
• Passed for 2,746 yards and 31 touchdowns this past season at Butler Community College
• Completed 58.5 percent of his passes, threw for five touchdowns in a game twice, and passed for four touchdowns three times
• Was a team captain
• Was rated as one of the top quarterback and athlete prospects in the country coming out of Seneca High School following the 2010 season. 
• As a senior, he threw for 3,150 yards along with 30 touchdowns compared to nine interceptions. 
• Was named to the All-State First-Team by the Louisville Courier-Journal after his final campaign and was also awarded a spot on the 2010 Class of Commonwealth team. 
• Was listed as the No. 2 overall recruit in Kentucky, the No.11 dual-threat quarterback in the country and a four-star recruit by Rivals.com. 
• ESPN.com and Scout.com both listed Smith as a three-star prospect with Scout ranking him as the No. 20 quarterback in the country. 
• In three seasons as Seneca's signal caller, Smith threw for nearly 8,000 yards and 75 touchdowns.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 6

10 -
DaMarcus Smith
DaMarcus  Smith

Class:
Junior
 Hometown:
Louisville, KY
 Last College:
Butler CC
 Height / Weight:
6-1 / 216
 Position:
QB

• Passed for 2,746 yards and 31 touchdowns this past season at Butler Community College
• Completed 58.5 percent of his passes, threw for five touchdowns in a game twice, and passed for four touchdowns three times
• Was a team captain
• Was rated as one of the top quarterback and athlete prospects in the country coming out of Seneca High School following the 2010 season. 
• As a senior, he threw for 3,150 yards along with 30 touchdowns compared to nine interceptions. 
• Was named to the All-State First-Team by the Louisville Courier-Journal after his final campaign and was also awarded a spot on the 2010 Class of Commonwealth team. 
• Was listed as the No. 2 overall recruit in Kentucky, the No.11 dual-threat quarterback in the country and a four-star recruit by Rivals.com. 
• ESPN.com and Scout.com both listed Smith as a three-star prospect with Scout ranking him as the No. 20 quarterback in the country. 
• In three seasons as Seneca's signal caller, Smith threw for nearly 8,000 yards and 75 touchdowns.

I love ya man, but I cringe to think what it would take for him to get on the field this year.

• Upvote 1

Mini Mac will start through Iowa, and probably through USM. One Iowa boy is going to make sure another Iowa boy starts a game against Iowa at Iowa. 

Thats just the way it is. 

As for Greer, he will be skipped as Mini Mac was skipped last year. Mac will need an"I told you so" QB if Smith fails. That role goes to Greer this year. There will also be immense pressure on Mac to play Smith after an 0-4 start. Portland St. provides the best step in opportunity this year. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Dajon was basically almost as unrecruited as the totally unrecruited McNulty. This guy is a completely different commodity. Throwing away eligibility for 4-star recruits is not something we should be doing at North Texas.

You don't have to start him Coach. Just give the guy a couple of series to see what he can do. He actually has considerably more post-high school experience than your adopted son, and that experience was very successful. It could save this season, your reputation, and your job.

Smith has had more snaps in his career than McNulty - possibly even at the FBS level. Considering that the playbook apparently made up of gut-runs and 5-yard outs, I can't imagine that Smith can't handle that. Maybe the coaches are stuck on a seniority system? Like they want to Greer and McNulty ahead because they've been here longer even if they're not as qualified?

• Upvote 1

This guy sits at #3.  Just read the bio......

10 -
DaMarcus Smith
DaMarcus  Smith

Class:
Junior
 Hometown:
Louisville, KY
 Last College:
Butler CC
 Height / Weight:
6-1 / 216
 Position:
QB

• Was a team captain
• In three seasons as Seneca's signal caller, Smith threw for nearly 8,000 yards and 75 touchdowns
• Failed to beat out another quarterback who has passed for 7 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in his career, has the worst quarterback rating in the nation so far in 2015, and had the 112th best quarterback rating out of 123 in 2014.

Fixed it for you.

• Upvote 4

I read somewhere that NFL coaches have said the college spread system is producing QB's too dumb to play in the NFL. Bryce Petty of Baylor fame and now NYJ backup openly admitted he had no idea how to identify a Mike LB or even what a Mike LB was when he arrived at the Jets. Johnny Manziel stated something fairly similar after his first season in the NFL. Johnny Football said something to the effect of: I just went out and showed them who the better athlete was. Interstingly Martellus Bennet former A&M TE now with the Bears said damn near the same thing after his first year with the Cowboys. He said to paraphrase: "I didn't have to learn pass protection, schemes etc, I just went out and out athleted whoever was across from me." And finally, Kylar Murray, a tiny freshman at A&M, got trotted out in the first game of the season - an SEC school played a QB that looked no bigger than Riley Dodge. 

I bring all of this up because Im wondering - are we trying to teach NFL skill sets to guys that will never go there in the first place when we should just let the most athletic guy go out and play sandlot? - seemingly like two other schools in our own state. 

• Upvote 7

I read somewhere that NFL coaches have said the college spread system is producing QB's too dumb to play in the NFL. Bryce Petty of Baylor fame and now NYJ backup openly admitted he had no idea how to identify a Mike LB or even what a Mike LB was when he arrived at the Jets. Johnny Manziel stated something fairly similar after his first season in the NFL. Johnny Football said something to the effect of: I just went out and showed them who the better athlete was. Interstingly Martellus Bennet former A&M TE now with the Bears said damn near the same thing after his first year with the Cowboys. He said to paraphrase: "I didn't have to learn pass protection, schemes etc, I just went out and out athleted whoever was across from me." And finally, Kylar Murray, a tiny freshman at A&M, got trotted out in the first game of the season - an SEC school played a QB that looked no bigger than Riley Dodge. 

I bring all of this up because Im wondering - are we trying to teach NFL skill sets to guys that will never go there in the first place when we should just let the most athletic guy go out and play sandlot? - seemingly like two other schools in our own state. 

Probably? But I doubt that's the issue in our situation. :/

Let's start #3 on the depth chart at each position and see how it goes.

I'm guessing there's a reason he's a junior transfer behind two other QBs, and you won't find the reasons in a bio. Just proof that bios don't mean anything.

You are absolutely right. I forgot a bullet point.

• Not related to anyone on the current staff or their college teammates.
  • Upvote 2

I'm guessing there's a reason he's a junior transfer behind two other QBs, and you won't find the reasons in a bio. Just proof that bios don't mean anything.

#3 has prior experience. The Butler CC coach compared him to one of his former players Zach Mettenberger (drafted by the Titans in '14).

• Upvote 3

#3 has prior experience. The Butler CC coach compared him to one of his former players Zach Mettenberger (drafted by the Titans in '14).

But his missed Spring ball damnit!  He has to be punished!  You cannot play quarterback at UNT if you miss Spring Ball!  How can you have any pudding when you haven't eaten your meat!

I'm guessing there's a reason he's a junior transfer behind two other QBs, and you won't find the reasons in a bio. Just proof that bios don't mean anything

We're already pretty much doing that at several positions now, so we'll probably get there soon enough.