DMN interactive UNT preview

Brett Vito

I will take 5-7. I know its no bowl bid but as of right now just looking at things on Paper, i will take 5 wins. You have to build somewhere and I know last year was a let down from the year before but hey, McCarney has won as followed since he got here 2011- 5 20012-4, 2013: 9 and 2014: 4. Before we were lucky to get 3 wins in a season after Dickey. After Dickey's run at the bowls he had a 2 and a 3 win season. That 6 straight seasons of 3 wins or less

Edited by Withers940
addition
  • Upvote 1

5-7?

Granted, we do have a difficult schedule but we finished 4-8 last year with 2 or 3 games that were very nearly wins. Lot of question marks in many positions and our 2-deep currently has 10 Freshman either starting or backing up. That's a lot of youth. But they are also faster and more athletic than what we've had in the past so...

I think you could easily call 6-6 and 7-5 is a very real possibility. 

• Upvote 3

There is not 1 conference game that is absolutely "unwinnable." There are 2 OOC games that are extremely winnable. We have 10 winnable games on our schedule. 5 of those winnable games are in the confines of Apogee. 2 of our road games are against teams that won a combined 4 games last year. I have faith in this team. 

• Upvote 2

5-7?

Granted, we do have a difficult schedule but we finished 4-8 last year with 2 or 3 games that were very nearly wins. Lot of question marks in many positions and our 2-deep currently has 10 Freshman either starting or backing up. That's a lot of youth. But they are also faster and more athletic than what we've had in the past so...

I think you could easily call 6-6 and 7-5 is a very real possibility. 

We played a much easier schedule and still lost those 2 or 3 games.

• Upvote 2

"The situation causes some to call into question the wisdom of investing more than $100 million in athletic facilities at a school known for its music program with a student body that was largely raised as fans of in-state national powers Texas and Texas A&M."

Crappy way to end the preview whether there's any truth to it or not.

The truth hurts...the music program is the primary window to the university and always has been. The citizens of Denton, the student body, the faculty, the administration, and the alumni have clearly shown that music and arts and a cheap degree are the priorities of the university. To change that mindset will take some serious cajones from the BOR and administration because overwhelmingly, the UNT Family doesn't want it. We here on gmg.com want it badly, but we are in the 2% that care about UNT Sports actually winning. Look at the MGC "growth" in the last 10 years--its amazingly low when compared to the number of graduates and citizens that now leave in Denton County.

It is what it is...you cannot make the horse drink the water. We were told Fouts was what held us back (true), that our conference was pathetic and we needed to get in a better one (true), that we needed to hire and pay a decent salary to an actual head coach with experience as a college head coach, and that winning would turn things around. We have built Apogee, we are in CUSA with other teams people have heard of, both in state and out, we have given McCarney the largest salary in the history of the school, and we had a 9 win season that included a bowl win in our own backyard in Dallas. And the economy improved in 2014...and the season ticket base dropped, even with arch-rival SMU on the schedule. I am convinced more than ever that the only chance we have to make a dent with the other 98% is to win a bodybag game AND win our conference and bowl game. We have done the last two at different points back in the SBC and it didn't move the needle. Its gonna take winning CUSA and our bowl game while also beating one of the P5 giants we always play. Losing to Georgia 45-21 brought more compliments to me from non-UNT fans and former UNT alumni who have adopted someone else than any win we have ever had in my life as a UNT follower (1990 and beyond)--and that was a loss by 24 points that we hung around close until the latter part of the 4th quarter. That's why that UT game last year was such a disaster for us, as well as the entire 2014 season as a whole. We had a chance to keep moving forward against the absolute worst P5 giant we have scheduled for a bodybag game and we still got hammered and it led us to a 4-8 season. At some point, we gotta at least compete for an entire game with one of these mostly southern giants or else its back to being just little ol' UNT. And its why I'd rather play any P5 school except for the SEC or any team south of Kansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina, just to at least have a chance to compete. Hopefully, Iowa will prove this point this year and in 2017, as well as Wisconsin in 2019. We need to play B1G teams, northern ACC teams, and Pac-12 teams for the money--just avoid any school in the south...

• Downvote 1

The truth hurts...the music program is the primary window to the university and always has been. The citizens of Denton, the student body, the faculty, the administration, and the alumni have clearly shown that music and arts and a cheap degree are the priorities of the university.

Just . . . stop this.  Please.  It seems you are incapable of posting without making this ludicrous allegation.  EVERY.  SINGLE.  POST.

The University of North Texas is a university, and thus is a very multifaceted institution.  I have the most recent issue of the North Texan in front of me right now, and the cover story has nothing to do with music or art.  The feature stories have nothing to do with music or art.  Flipping through it, I see far more articles on UNT sports than I do on UNT music or art.  Yes, the university will brag about the success of its college of music, just like any university touts its successes.  But you can look at comparable publications (or other outlets of publicity) for other universities, and you'll find them talking about all sorts of things besides football.  Here's the link to Rice's alumni newsletter, and there is no mention of football, or of sports at all--but the feature story is about--*gasp*--their music program! http://alumni.rice.edu

• Upvote 4

Just . . . stop this.  Please.  It seems you are incapable of posting without making this ludicrous allegation.  EVERY.  SINGLE.  POST.

The University of North Texas is a university, and thus is a very multifaceted institution.  I have the most recent issue of the North Texan in front of me right now, and the cover story has nothing to do with music or art.  The feature stories have nothing to do with music or art.  Flipping through it, I see far more articles on UNT sports than I do on UNT music or art.  Yes, the university will brag about the success of its college of music, just like any university touts its successes.  But you can look at comparable publications (or other outlets of publicity) for other universities, and you'll find them talking about all sorts of things besides football.  Here's the link to Rice's alumni newsletter, and there is no mention of football, or of sports at all--but the feature story is about--*gasp*--their music program! http://alumni.rice.edu

Hey, pal--here's a hint...I was saying what the author of the article said, you know, the sports editor at the local paper in Denton...the one who covers the AD every day, lives in Denton, and talks to people who live there and talk about their disdain for UNT sports. Vito himself has said that the eventuality of either winning or giving up the FBS dream are the only things left for UNT to figure out. His exact words to me were "If they cannot get it right with McCarney, there are a lot of people that are gonna be ready to pull the plug on the FBS funding in Denton." You think he's full of $hit, just throwing that out there? Or maybe, just maybe, he is more in the know that all of this board combined when it comes to everything UNT sports wise and knows there is a reason RV still has a job and will until he doesn't want one? I'll let you figure out which one makes more sense. I'll tell you this much, if you think that this program gets more than 2% support from its alumni, students, faculty, administration, and local citizenry, more power to you. Facts aren't really your friend, at this point.

If you ask someone about Rice, they are gonna tell you its a prestigious private school with a small enrollment and a stellar academic reputation. Ivy-like academics is their primary window. And they have about 4000 students, not almost 40,000 students. Ask the same stupid question to a UH, UTEP, UTSA, or Texas State fan and ask them if they want their university to be primarily advertised with music or its sports teams, then compare and contrast that answer to the one you'd get if you walked around UNTs campus at anytime this fall. 

• Downvote 3

Considering that Vito gets most of his scoops from this board and he's constantly crafting his own narratives that rarely align with reality.... Yeah, no.

Jim, are you in town? I am. Have been for a while now. Plus, I'm a music graduate who is returning to work for that College on Monday. Everything you like to spout off upon is so far from the truth, that it's beyond reproach. 

Get over yourself.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hey, pal--here's a hint...I was saying what the author of the article said, you know, the sports editor at the local paper in Denton...the one who covers the AD every day, lives in Denton, and talks to people who live there and talk about their disdain for UNT sports. Vito himself has said that the eventuality of either winning or giving up the FBS dream are the only things left for UNT to figure out. His exact words to me were "If they cannot get it right with McCarney, there are a lot of people that are gonna be ready to pull the plug on the FBS funding in Denton." You think he's full of ****, just throwing that out there? Or maybe, just maybe, he is more in the know that all of this board combined when it comes to everything UNT sports wise

So you say you're just parroting Vito?  I'm not sure I've ever read an article of his that blames UNT's failures on its college of music or its art program, but you seem obsessed with this notion.

I'll let you figure out which one makes more sense. I'll tell you this much, if you think that this program gets more than 2% support from its alumni, students, faculty, administration, and local citizenry, more power to you. Facts aren't really your friend, at this point.

I'm not really sure of your point.  And I'm not really sure from where you are suggesting that the remaining 98+% of the program's support comes.

If you ask someone about Rice, they are gonna tell you its a prestigious private school with a small enrollment and a stellar academic reputation. Ivy-like academics is their primary window. And they have about 4000 students, not almost 40,000 students. Ask the same stupid question to a UH, UTEP, UTSA, or Texas State fan and ask them if they want their university to be primarily advertised with music or its sports teams, then compare and contrast that answer to the one you'd get if you walked around UNTs campus at anytime this fall. 

"Ask someone"?  Sure, people's positive associations with UNT are probably going to be found in the college of music.  That's because it's good.  Very good.  The past 35 years' history of the football program?  Not so much.  But if the football team were to start winning conference and OOC games regularly, and start popping up in the national rankings, that would change.  But how in the world do you blame UNT music and arts because people don't first think of football when they think of UNT?

• Upvote 1

Considering that Vito gets most of his scoops from this board and he's constantly crafting his own narratives that rarely align with reality.... Yeah, no.

Jim, are you in town? I am. Have been for a while now. Plus, I'm a music graduate who is returning to work for that College on Monday. Everything you like to spout off upon is so far from the truth, that it's beyond reproach. 

Get over yourself.

Well, I guess I will since you told me do so on a message board about UNT Football...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Harry locked this topic