Sid Bass saves Blue Bell

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2015/07/14/billionaire-sid-bass-partners-blue-bell-ice-cream/30170719/

Greedy stinking billionaire trying to save a bunch of jobs and crap. Rich entrepenuers should all be stripped of their money and put in concentration camps.

I mean, the nerve...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

If I understand things correctly, were it not for the Bass family, downtown Fort Worth would still be little more than abandoned buildings with boarded up windows.  Instead we get Bass Hall, Sundance Square, and all the accoutrements that come with it, including, but not limited to, that sweet new location for the Flying Saucer.

You are correct, although I'm not sure which of the Bass brothers were involved (maybe all, maybe not). and yet another example of why the Bass's should be forced into government custody. I mean, surely they profited off that venture. How dare they do something good for the city AND increase their own wealth.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are correct, although I'm not sure which of the Bass brothers were involved (maybe all, maybe not). and yet another example of why the Bass's should be forced into government custody. I mean, surely they profited off that venture. How dare they do something good for the city AND increase their own wealth.

Don't forget the state portion of the sales and hotel taxes pay for some of that new development within designated "zones".

If I understand things correctly, were it not for the Bass family, downtown Fort Worth would still be little more than abandoned buildings with boarded up windows.  Instead we get Bass Hall, Sundance Square, and all the accoutrements that come with it, including, but not limited to, that sweet new location for the Flying Saucer.

Yes.  It's unreal what downtown FW has become, and in a very short time.      In the mid to late 80's you could drive around on a Saturday night and not see 10 people. 

Rick

Yep, the comeback started in the mid 90s and was led by the Bass brothers. They built the beautiful Bass Hall and encouraged business friends to invest. They created their own security company to supplement FWPD in providing a presence that helped patrons feel safe. 

That brand new plaza with the fountains downtown? Bass brother project (technically Sundance Square Management Company, which just happens to be owned by the Bass family).

But, hey, if some on here had their way, the evil Bass brothers money would be confiscated by the government and we would rely on the government to have the vision to complete these types of projects.

Im sure THAT would end well.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My knowledge of the Bass family and their activities is quite contrary to my knowledge of the activities of, say, the Koch brothers or the heirs to the Walton fortune.  I've absolutely nothing against people obtaining great sums of wealth.  I do take umbrage with what some of them do with it.  

Everything I know about the Bass family has been a fierce determination to bring Fort Worth up with them.  My personal soft spot for them lies in their activities with Cook's Children's.

Some of the other billionaire groups in this country have a much more thrash and burn scorched earth I got mine, let everybody else die in the streets mentality.

Like most things in life, I don't tend to label all billionaires as fitting into one nice cookie cutter category.  They too are individuals, although I kinda doubt that once you pass that ninth zero in your bank account that you do still put your pants on one leg at a time.  I think they get a membership card to the magic two legs at a time billionaires pants club.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1