UNT's Secret Weapon for 2015?

Harry

Personally, I think the biggest thing that needs to emerge is another legitimate receiving threat besides Harris. 

UNT needs more from the position than they got last year, and that's not a knock on Harris.  There was just a huge dropoff from Harris to the next receivers. 

UNT went from #66 in passing offense to #109.  That can't totally be laid at the feet of the QB.

• Upvote 2

I know many would say QB Damarcus Smith or WR Thaddeus Thompson DE Jareid Combs but what about kicker Trevor Moore?  Moore could win a lot of close games for us this season.

​I'll say this about Thaddeus Thompson. Considering what I saw of our WR's in the spring, he had better be real special, for us to have burned a ship on him. We have some really good WR's on our team. The Carthage boys have great potential, and  Mr. Kahn has the potential to be our own version of Wes Welker, or the second coming of Pete Harvey. They only need a consistent "delivery system" to reach their full potential.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 5

​^^^^^ OH YES IT CAN

CMPATTYDS  CMP%   YPA     LNG  TD      INTSACK

McNulty

Dajon

Greer

​Those stats are intertwined with performance of the receivers and the OL last year.  QB needs HUGE IMPROVEMENT--no doubt.  I'm just saying that there needs to be more from WR as well, and that's where UNT could have a secret weapon in the new kids.

• Upvote 3

I'd like for someone to emerge as a legit game changer in the kickoff and punt return game. We sorely missed that last year after Brelan was gone. Think about how many back breaking, momentum gaining plays that guy ripped off for us in those facets of the game during the HOD Bowl season. 

• Upvote 2

​Those stats are intertwined with performance of the receivers and the OL last year.  QB needs HUGE IMPROVEMENT--no doubt.  I'm just saying that there needs to be more from WR as well, and that's where UNT could have a secret weapon in the new kids.

​So you're saying our wr need to be good enough to catch passes no matter how poorly they are thrown? Much like Greer's passes in last year's SMU game or McNulty's passes in this year's spring game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

​So you're saying our wr need to be good enough to catch passes no matter how poorly they are thrown? Much like Greer's passes in last year's SMU game or McNulty's passes in this year's spring game.

​Harris was good enough to go over 800 yards for the year.  I guess the other receivers had all the poorly thrown passes their way.

I'm saying there needs to be more than 1 serious receiving threat in order for the passing game to go.  UNT had this in 2014.  They did not have it last year, IMO.

• Upvote 2

I'm gonna say Willie Ivery as the secret weapon. Would love to see him take short swing passes or screens to the house.

I agree. Willie, in my opinion, could be a special player. 

There are too many offensive weapons fot us to not have a legitimate offense.

Harris, M. Smith, Kidsy, Goree, Jimmy, W. Ivery, J. Wilson, Smiley, Loving, Rutherford, Rollins, etc. 

That is far too of a talented group of skill guys only to drop 20 ppg. Its actually inexcusable. 

D.Smith could really make this entire group click. It appears he's going to be wearing number 10 by the way. 

• Upvote 1

Regardless of the receivers speed or hands he must have the ability to get open.  Harris was really the only one that exhibited that last season.  

I believe that will change this year; especially with Goree and Khan.  Even the much maligned Josh Greer completed seven passes to Khan in the spring game.  Thompson and Rutherford are apt to be 6" taller than their defender with more wingspan thereby making them an easier target.  Smiley might also be coached into learning to break free.  I believe that this may be our most improved position.

• Upvote 1

Harris was good enough to go over 800 yards for the year.  I guess the other receivers had all the poorly thrown passes their way.

I'm saying there needs to be more than 1 serious receiving threat in order for the passing game to go.  UNT had this in 2014.  They did not have it last year, IMO.

My point was that had Harris not been able to catch the poorly thrown balls, the quarterback stats would've been even worse. I do think that the majority of the blame falls on the quarterbacks, all three of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Regardless of the receivers speed or hands he must have the ability to get open.  Harris was really the only one that exhibited that last season.  

This was a big issue last season. Lots of drops and guys just weren't able to get open or improvise while McNulty was out of the pocket. Glimpses here and there tho.

• Upvote 1

Harris was good enough to go over 800 yards for the year.  I guess the other receivers had all the poorly thrown passes their way.

Nevermind that Marcus Smith was open quite often but could not be found or was overthrown/underthrown/kindof-thrown-at...

Harris should be commended for coming back or otherwise contorting himself for underthrown/poorly-thrown balls... not expected to be the standard.  Need a QB who can consistently get the deep ball to a streaking receiver without having to either stop, or come back 5 yards.

I'm in @Cr1028's camp.  The main issue is at QB.

• Upvote 1

Most of the crucial drops I remember came by way of our heralded UT transfer.

Kidsy is a player that i follow, but he has to stop the dropping.  He wants to make big plays, but he has to do his job first, and that is catch the ball.  I also agree about the other guy.  Too many drops.  I do not understand why he continued to get reps with no separation, bad hands, bad routes.  blocking? ... I guess. 

If you are a SR, you should be putting up numbers, or we are hurting our future success by having an average to below average SR in there.  Kidsy should have been getting those reps once it was guaranteed we were not going to do anything special.  If not Kidsy, then Smiley or someone else that we could have developed for this year.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Cr1028 as well but let's be honest there were a lot of drops last year as well in key moments.  Love Kidsy but the kid needs to wear more stick-em this season.

Yes, exactly. But there were a lot of key let downs on defense, by both lines and generally all across the board. We were not very consistent anywhere. We would look good for a series, then have a play that totally collapsed. That happened on both offense and defense. I am hopeful that will improve next year. 

• Upvote 2