Great idea for raising donors

GMG24

Houstons new HC has offered to match up to 25K In new donations, pretty cool idea. There's a link on Twitter but my school iPad won't let me get on Twitter anymore. What are y'all's thoughts? They also used a local furniture store and got them to donate a ton of new office furniture and couches etc for players areas. Not to toot their horn, but that's using some innovation if you ask me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not a fan of the idea. There's no substance in that and 0 longevity. We need to work on building the donor base in a substantial way, not a 25k way. Only positive I see in this is this might get the people on the fence to open up their checkbook and in the event that took place I'd be all for it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not a fan of the idea. There's no substance in that and 0 longevity. We need to work on building the donor base in a substantial way, not a 25k way. Only positive I see in this is this might get the people on the fence to open up their checkbook and in the event that took place I'd be all for it.  

Yes excuse me, I forgot any idea from anyone besides you is not a good one. You don't think our athletic budget could use a 50 k bump??? Don't kid yourself. 

• Upvote 5

Yes excuse me, I forgot any idea from anyone besides you is not a good one. You don't think our athletic budget could use a 50 k bump??? Don't kid yourself. 

I don't think he quite understands the idea of establishing a pattern of giving. 

• Upvote 1

Not really GMG24, I'm all for hearing about ideas. This program needs ideas and innovation infused into it regardless of the source.  

Get a GMG softball game going, Andrew. 

I would be down. Basketball is my sport but I can throw a ball. Now hitting it... Not so much haha. 

Kram any interesting in a GMG softball game just for fun? We don't even need jerseys! Just 20-30 people, bats and balls.

Houstons new HC has offered to match up to 25K In new donations, pretty cool idea. There's a link on Twitter but my school iPad won't let me get on Twitter anymore. What are y'all's thoughts? They also used a local furniture store and got them to donate a ton of new office furniture and couches etc for players areas. Not to toot their horn, but that's using some innovation if you ask me. 

Was the furniture store owned by a former North Texas player and a friend of a departed North Texas coach? Just curious. 

• Upvote 1

To my knowledge (not much) he was a Houston Alum who owned a furniture store down there and he agreed to re up on some of their furniture coaching desk chairs etc and did it up in Houston colors. Let me see if I can't find the post.

I know Mac is old school, and I know it's social media, but I'm 26 and I'm turned off by our programs lack of effort in that department. I can only imagine a kid in HS, whether y'all like it or not THAT is part of recruiting now. We are being left in the dust in that department by both UH and SMU. Two new hires who yes have a ton to prove, but they've impressed me so far.

Edited by Harry

@Harry why will it not post the tweet picture like it used to? Did I miss something? 

You were using the mobile twitter code and it didn't like it for some reason.  When I pulled "mobile" out of the address is worked.  I'll check into it and thanks for the heads up.

To my knowledge (not much) he was a Houston Alum who owned a furniture store down there and he agreed to re up on some of their furniture coaching desk chairs etc and did it up in Houston colors. Let me see if I can't find the post.

I know Mac is old school, and I know it's social media, but I'm 26 and I'm turned off by our programs lack of effort in that department. I can only imagine a kid in HS, whether y'all like it or not THAT is part of recruiting now. We are being left in the dust in that department by both UH and SMU. Two new hires who yes have a ton to prove, but they've impressed me so far.

As I recall, Mattress Mack is why we have the Darrel R. Dickey Practice Field.

​MattressMac gave us a Million Dollars because he liked Darrell Dickey and went to school here in the 70s. We fired Dickey, he threatened to get his donation back, then made us name our practice field after a coach whose overall record is 42-64, while Odus Mitchell and Hayden Fry have no mention whatseover around our facilities.

It sucks, in that we did the right thing by firing Dickey, and even got that donation to stay in Denton, but we lose a mega-donor that only loved the coach here, not his former school. Maybe that has changed in the last ten years with his involvement or contributions to UNT, but I really doubt it.

Interesting thanks for the update, wonder what it would take to bring him back to the Mean Green side, these are the donors we need back, and many others as well, every little bit helps. 

You know the best tool ever made for getting donations?

Shoe leather.

Some years back I allowed my alumni association membership to lapse ($48) one day one of the ladies from the association called and asked if she could stop by the visit. Dropped in talked various AState stuff and walked out with a $48 check.

Former director of the booster club calls, he is going to be in town can he stop and visit at the office. We talk athletics for a time, when it is over I've signed a pledge card doubling my donation (since increased two more times).

Current booster club director calls, he is going to be in town and wants to show me the plans for the renovation, I beg off because I'd already thought about it and wasn't going to spend $4k for four tickets (I have 8 that cost me $3100 as it is), but I wasn't going to risk getting talked into.

• Upvote 2

Houstons new HC has offered to match up to 25K In new donations, pretty cool idea.

​Slight clarification.  He is not matching generic new donations.  He is matching donations for new membership into the 46ers (UH football started in 1946).  This is a group created specifically to raise funds for football, not the athletic department in general.  Minimum donation to join is $500 per year.   Benefits include private events with the coaching staff, invitations to some closed practices, and exclusive gear. 

Not much different than what you said but it is targeted less towards small 1-time donors and more towards medium or larger donors (minimum $500/year) or consistent donors ($500/year can be spread over monthly payments).  This might address some of Ben Gooding's concerns about lack of substance and longevity in his post.  If they enjoy the benefits, especially access to the coaching staff, hopefully they continue their membership.  And if membership grows too large to continue providing those benefits, of course the membership costs can always be increased and/or a waiting list can be created.  This can create a consistent. long term, larger donation fundraising source.

How much does the Houston HC make in comparison to Mac?

​$1.35 Million base

​I'll feed the SMU fire over here with coaches salary talk for your amusement.   UH and SMU both hired big name P5 OCs this year.  Of course SMU claims they hired the better coach.  Time will tell on that.  But one of the consistently funny arguments they use for why their coach is better is because they paid more money, $2mm base. 

Only 2 problems with that argument

1)  They have to pay more to get a decent coach because SMU is a head coach graveyard.  I don't believe a single SMU coach has been a D1/FBS coach again after leaving SMU since Hayden Fry was fired in 1972 and then went on to coach at Iowa and of course UNT.

2)  June Jones made a large amount of money at SMU.  I think his average was more than Briles' and Sumlin's combined average salary.  Which coaches were better?  Even Levine, who made much less than June and was fired, had a better record at UH than June at SMU.

• Upvote 1