Random thought about our football staff

As a high school football coach, I attend 3-4 football clinics during the year.  I always notice the college coaches who are speaking and their slew of coaches networking with all the HS coaches. In my 6 years of coaching I have never heard a Mean Green coach speak at a clinic. Canales did speak at one this year, but didn't make it. Unt still didn't have the presence Morris and SMU had at that clinic. Just a random thought as I was looking at the Angelo Clinic lineup in a week. 

• Upvote 1

So what?

I can say that in 27 years of coaching, this is the ONLY North Texas staff that involved alumni in the recruitment process.  I have offered many other coaches from other NT staffs to help and most gave me the "whatever" handshake and I never heard from them again. 

This staff was completely different.  They identified the alumni on our staff and have tried to get them to help and to provide input as to the best way to reach potential recruits.  They phoned me at home and asked lots of questions about how best to get the player they wanted.

Even more important, they listened when I told them a player had very questionable character.  They asked several times, but in the end, they took a pass (he ended up in the Sun Belt).

Clinic talk is exactly that.  They tell you just enough to get beat using thier stuff.  I couldn't care less if our coaches speak at a clinic.

• Upvote 3

As a high school football coach, I attend 3-4 football clinics during the year.  I always notice the college coaches who are speaking and their slew of coaches networking with all the HS coaches. In my 6 years of coaching I have never heard a Mean Green coach speak at a clinic. Canales did speak at one this year, but didn't make it. Unt still didn't have the presence Morris and SMU had at that clinic. Just a random thought as I was looking at the Angelo Clinic lineup in a week. 

Where do you coach? I'm The Colony and been to Glazier clinic last few years at least one or more of the NT guys talked each year. 

Just to chime in, for those of us as far from the coaches circles as I am, I really appreciate this exchange of perspectives from those who are knee deep in the scene.

For one, I'm glad to hear there are notable improvements through the camps and engagement of alumni coaches as I'm sure the alumni coach network through the state is pretty impressive.  

If there are those, however, who find a lack of presence from NT in these clinics to either give a negative impression on the NT staff or simply keep NT "out of sight, out of mind", it seems worthwhile to evaluate the staff's involvement.  I would expect that, if SMU appears to be very active in these clinics, it's because Morris while at the HS level may have leaned toward the side who found this valuable (maybe less in the actual speaking aspect but in the relationship building).  I'd be curious if attendance at these is tied into their coaches' contracts.

• Upvote 1

I in no way meant our coaches aren't out in the local schools.  Just a casual observation I made.  Canales was at our school this spring, and I'm hoping our OL chooses UNT. I get in so many arguments with our coaching staff about this. It really is crazy the superiority complex some of these people have. They believe Kansas is a better place than say Houston.  All because they play in the Big 12. Perception is reality I guess, but I sure wish we could land that big fish soon. 

I mentioned this the other day, but from the few coaches that I do know, they actually like Mac. They think his staff tries harder than anyone UNT has brought around ever, they like his positivity about coaching, and they think he is a decent man. They just don't like his offense--they thensleves call it boring and outdated. Kids love the spread in Texas. Has that hurt the specialty of tackling at the high school and college leves? Absolutely. And not running the spread, but pounding the ball down your throat 75% of the time does have appeal to the few RBs that get to run in that offense, as well as linemen. But the problem is that it has zero appeal to a throwing QB. So unless your defense just kicks ass and collects names and your special teams is just great, the offense that Woody Hayes ran just doesn't really move the needle much, especially at a place like UNT, where recruiting has generally sucked anyway because of the losing and the apathy associated with our history in the last 35 years.

Our only hope, IMHO, is that we build up our lines to get back to a 2013 level again, find a workhorse back and a bus driver QB that can actually throw downfield a few times a game to guys on our team, and then get hard hitting LBs and DBs to create turnovers, as well as a great return game. That recipe got us a 9-win, HoD Bowl Champion season. The only problem I see is that we are probably looking at 2016 at the earliest for this to occur, more likely 2017. Until then, its gonna be rough around here--like ever year around since 2005, sans 2013.

• Upvote 2

That type of phikosophy is fine and dandy if we could recruit those type of players consistently. To have that kind of success it's mainly about the Johnny and Joe's and the X's & O's are seemingly an afterthought. There is a reason the spread,  up tempo became so popular so quickly. it gives less talented teams the upper hand offensively. There's a reason these high octane, up offenses have porous defenses... b/c it is much harder to hide the flaws defensively when a program struggles in recruiting. if we're going to stick with this phikosiphy we better start recruiting at a much higher level. The staff has been saying they're changing up the O this year. Whether that happens or not has yet to be seen.