A message from President Neal Smatresk about campus carry legislation passing

June 2, 2015

Dear UNT community members,

As you know, Texas’ Legislature has passed new legislation that will allow licensed gun owners to carry concealed handguns on campus. 

This new legislation includes the benefit of exercising local control, and we will use that control to continue to do everything we can to provide a safe and secure environment for our students, faculty, staff and visitors. 

While passage of the law is not what we had hoped for, we are now reviewing the legislation thoroughly to ensure that we fully understand our latitude in developing regulations for carrying concealed handguns on campus. 

We will spend our time prior to Fall 2016 planning our implementation response, and consulting with all faculty, staff and students who have interest in or have raised concerns about this legislation. 

I also will consult extensively with other campus leaders and police groups in Texas to better understand the additional costs and training associated with this bill. And, I will ask our police department and other units on campus to provide training and guidance to our community to help them understand how to personally respond in this new environment.

In the coming year, we will conduct a thorough and thoughtful process, and I assure all of our students and their families, faculty and staff members, and visitors that we remain committed to providing the best educational experience in Texas in a safe campus community. 

UNT Proud,

Neal Smatresk

• Upvote 3

And they let someone that dumb teach a college class?

​I don't think that is dumb. If you have ever taught college students, you would know that some of them are pretty brazen in the way they address their professors. Especially if you teach classes that most of the students will have to take. I've heard of students getting really aggressive with professors and even threatening some directly or indirectly. Now put a gun on that kids hip and there is a little bit more reason to worry.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

​I don't think that is dumb. If you have ever taught college students, you would know that some of them are pretty brazen in the way they address their professors. Especially if you teach classes that most of the students will have to take. I've heard of students getting really aggressive with professors and even threatening some directly or indirectly. Now put a gun on that kids hip and there is a little bit more reason to worry.

​Then that student would be breaking the law since only concealed carry is allowed (currently and in the future for on campus carry). That's small potatoes compared to felonies he or she would be facing and even IF they managed to avoid legal troubles then they still have to face some consequences with the administration.

On campus carry is the law in other states and hasn't been an issue in any of them.

If a student is being brazenly aggressive with her the student won't need a gun to make her worry or give her reason to call the police (TWU cops have little to do so they should be right there) or she can have the administration deal with the student. If she can't remember how to deal with that situation and forgot all of her training and procedures, then yeah, that's dumb.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

No, that TWU professor is an idiot. 

​Not as much as someone that thinks students carrying guns on a college campus, or any  educational campus for that matter, is even an OK idea. We're talking about institutions of higher learning forgodsakes. The last thing that any teacher or professor should have to deal with or worry about,  is guns., And it should always be the goal of the legislature to make sure that happens, not how to increasingly arm the general public.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

None of the other states that allow it have had a problem with it, nor have teachers or professors had to deal with it or worry about it.  That's because they're not arming the general public; they're allowing people who meet the criteria for the license to have a concealed weapon on campus.  The campus shootings that have taken place did not involve anyone with an on-campus concealed firearm license that I've ever heard of.  Responsible gun owners get licenses such as these for personal (and public) protection purposes.  You'd be shocked at how many people carried them anyway prior to this, or kept them in their cars.  It's a concealed weapons license; the reason people don't generally worry about it is because they DON'T SEE IT and because those guns aren't being taken out and used in an aggressive manner.

I don't have a gun.  Don't want one.  Never fired one.  But it's going to take far better arguments than the ones in this thread to convince me that there's a real problem with this legislation.

• Upvote 6

No need for a "Chicken Little" response to this legislation. First, the licensed handgun carrier must be 21 years of age; there will not be kiddies running around campus playing cops and robbers. Second, the multiple anal probes you must endure to pass the background check pretty much ensures that the licensee is at least in the upper quartile (my SWAG) of responsible, stable people; look at the history of licensee behavior. I would venture a guess that there may even be employees of the University who would not pass the background check.

I did not hear a loud cry for this legislation, but since it passed I am personally comfortable with it.

No offense intended to any who may have different opinions.  I take responsibility for myself and in today's society that unfortunately includes personal safety.

• Upvote 5

​Not as much as someone that thinks students carrying guns on a college campus, or any  educational campus for that matter, is even an OK idea. We're talking about institutions of higher learning forgodsakes. The last thing that any teacher or professor should have to deal with or worry about,  is guns., And it should always be the goal of the legislature to make sure that happens, not how to increasingly arm the general public.

​Well, I'm ok with it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot. But thanks for playing.

And this is not how to increasingly arm the general public, it's allowing those who do have CCW to be able to carry in a place that they haven't before. Juuuuuuussst a slight difference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No need for a "Chicken Little" response to this legislation. First, the licensed handgun carrier must be 21 years of age; there will not be kiddies running around campus playing cops and robbers. Second, the multiple anal probes you must endure to pass the background check pretty much ensures that the licensee is at least in the upper quartile (my SWAG) of responsible, stable people; look at the history of licensee behavior. I would venture a guess that there may even be employees of the University who would not pass the background check.

I did not hear a loud cry for this legislation, but since it passed I am personally comfortable with it.

No offense intended to any who may have different opinions.  I take responsibility for myself and in today's society that unfortunately includes personal safety.

​You going to ask some armed kid his age and for his permit? I had four guns growing up (in the country west of Austin), the thought of some of the kids (even 21 and older) that I grew up with carrying guns in public scares me....they had enough problems with anger management as it was and it got only worse when they drank. Just my opinion and observation.

• Upvote 1

I have 45 years of college teaching experience.  I had both students and colleagues that I would have worried about if guns had been allowed.  As far as background checks. Remember all of these teachers caught fooling around with their students passed criminal background checks.  In Arkansas. Sealed juvenile records, expunged records and pardons are included.  People still get through the screens.  IMO not a good idea.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I have 45 years of college teaching experience.  I had both students and colleagues that I would have worried about if guns had been allowed.  As far as background checks. Remember all of these teachers caught fooling around with their students passed criminal background checks.  In Arkansas. Sealed juvenile records, expunged records and pardons are included.  People still get through the screens.  IMO not a good idea.

​Plus, if you left it to the NRA, and their lap dogs the right wing Republican party, whatever background checks are currently in place would go away in a New York minute

Here is a question that I think is on subject.  Is concealed or open carry allowed at any of our military academies?  How about in any of our state side military bases?  No "yeah-but's"  just yes or no.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No, they wouldn't.    

​Yeah, I must have just imagined the NRA and their aforementioned lap dogs shooting down (pun intended) the proposed "enhancement" of background checks right after Sandy Hook. Thanks to them NOTHING was done to help prevent (even minimally) future tragedies like that. A proud moment for the NRA.

• Upvote 5

I am not a big proponent of open carry because I prefer the strategic advantage of concealed carry. Those who wish to frighten the sheep may do so.

I am also not a proponent of no background checks. I want people who lawfully carry to be fingerprinted and have criminal and medical background checks.

I am glad that the proposed provision in the HB 910 legislation that would have restricted law enforcement's right to question and ID openly armed individuals without probable cause did not pass. As one who is closely acquainted with a law enforcement officer, I did not want to see his job made more difficult and hazardous.

Just remember that, IMO, anyone who wants to do harm with a handgun and can scrape up a few bucks to buy one on the street WILL. No amount of legislation or regulation will ever change that. How is it working out for dope?

Exercise your rights and take responsibility for your own safety because there are not enough police.

• Upvote 2

​Plus, if you left it to the NRA, and their lap dogs the right wing Republican party, whatever background checks are currently in place would go away in a New York minute

Here is a question that I think is on subject.  Is concealed or open carry allowed at any of our military academies?  How about in any of our state side military bases?  No "yeah-but's"  just yes or no.

​No concealed carry authorized at any base I've ever been on.  There are certain times when you are allowed to be under arms, when in those circumstances you carry openly.

​A very thoughtful and realistic post. I agree that the system has flaws that will be exploited by those who can get away with it. IMO, we can diligently keep the window of opportunity for those characters as small as possible without infringing on the God-given rights of the overwhelming majority of responsible, law-abiding people. By coincidence, I came upon the following quote while reading my email this morning, contained in an advertisement of all places. It looks like it was taken out of context and makes me want to research the whole speech. This quote pretty much sums up my thinking FWIW:

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, in the first annual address to both houses of Congress.

I think we enjoyed our college years in an environment that was pretty much sheltered. Times have changed, society is much more violent than I remember, and the campus is preyed upon more and more by external elements that invade its boundaries.

• Upvote 2