SMU Game Shirt

Ridiculous how licensing deals are these days. Can be a total killjoy to a bunch of fans in sports, and ruin the smaller venues in the music industry.

Technology is allowing the common man to do amazing things these days, and larger companies do not want to lose that profit.

Crazy intellectual property rights, right? Maybe the good citizens of Denton can set up another election to take these property rights away as well. Darn this pesky intellectual property rights legal mess! You know...all the cool kids have great fun stealing intellectual property. Why put a damper on all that cool harmless fun?

Actually intellectual property laws protect the small music ventures and the musicians. Such property right laws prevent these artists from having the fruits of their labor stolen. Same for corporate logos and such.

I get the t-shirt thing and I understand how it impacts stuff like this SMU t-shirt thing. But surely one of the many creative folks within the Mean Green Nation could easily come up with an original design that would get the point across and need no institutional approval. So...where are those creative minds?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Crazy intellectual property rights, right? Maybe the good citizens of Denton can set up another election to take these property rights away as well. Darn this pesky intellectual property rights legal mess! You know...all the cool kids have great fun stealing intellectual property. Why put a damper on all that cool harmless fun?

Actually intellectual property laws protect the small music ventures and the musicians. Such property right laws prevent these artists from having the fruits of their labor stolen. Same for corporate logos and such.

I get the t-shirt thing and I understand how it impacts stuff like this SMU t-shirt thing. But surely one of the many creative folks within the Mean Green Nation could easily come up with an original design that would get the point across and need no institutional approval. So...where are those creative minds?

KRAM, I believe we are on the same page as making sure property rights are acknowledged and fair compensation is honored.

I do not know how in tune you are with the music industry, but it appears not very much because you don't seem to grasp what I'm saying. I said nothing about justifying stealing. I apologize if I wasn't clear: I mean that the economic model is imbalanced and is extremely difficult on emerging artists and smaller venues.

Here's a great read from one of Denton's own:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/rubber-gloves-fights-money-grubbing-ascap-with-new-monthly-covers-show-7078561

And a follow-up: http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/ascap-can-cripple-small-venues-6406785

If I had to guess, you'll find the former's language off-putting. I hope that you see through that and recognize that these are legitimate voices recognizing legitimate imbalance in the economic model that is licensing (in this case, specific to music rights).

KRAM, I believe we are on the same page as making sure property rights are acknowledged and fair compensation is honored.

I do not know how in tune you are with the music industry, but it appears not very much because you don't seem to grasp what I'm saying. I said nothing about justifying stealing. I apologize if I wasn't clear: I mean that the economic model is imbalanced and is extremely difficult on emerging artists and smaller venues.

Jury's

Here's a great read from one of Denton's own:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/rubber-gloves-fights-money-grubbing-ascap-with-new-monthly-covers-show-7078561

And a follow-up: http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/ascap-can-cripple-small-venues-6406785

If I had to guess, you'll find the former's language off-putting. I hope that you see through that and recognize that these are legitimate voices recognizing legitimate imbalance in the economic model that is licensing (in this case, specific to music rights).

It may surprise you to know that I am very much aware of this situation and happen to be a fan of Ribber Gloves. No not as a regular attendee as the music is not generally my type of thing, but of the small venue local band sort of thing. It might also surprise you that I understand the fight. Just before I retired I worked with the non-profit think tank IPI which holds the only Intellectual Property conference on the U.S. In D.C. each April. So, while this little RG dust up is not top of mind with me, this sort of thing is quite familiar. And, I am sympathetic to the artists and small studios. Both articles, while completely one-sided, of course, and filled with the emotions that these things usually are, were good reads. And, coming from the Dallad Observer one can expect both the language and the bias.

Does interest me that these artists and venues try to make this fight a "F" you sort of thing instead of nationally doing the hard and time consuming work to join together to fight these guys. Instead they pound their chest and praise their independence all the while allowing the Bears to pick them off one by one. In addition, this isn't new. So every small venue and new band knows about it...or should... going in. Anyone who thinks the music industry is a bunch of old garage band guys grown up and will understand and ignore the newbies and small guys is sadly mistaken. It is one of the most money hungry, I got mine so too bad for you, deep pocketed, cutthroat industry in the land. You best know what you are getting into as it is not for the "I just want to play music and smoke weed" folks.

RGS and everyone else can either band together to fight it (which I recommend), pay up or get out of the business. These folks play for keeps! It is a shame and on the surface appears very unfair, but it is a system the courts keep sadly upholding and a few "F you" nights will do ZERO to change it....only to poke the bear. It is going to be hard and you will need some big name music folks on your side and a voice or two in Congress to win, but you can. You need to find "that guy" who had the passion to lead your charge. It can be done...it will take time, energy and money, but "F You" nights are not it.

So, yes, we definitely are pretty much in agreement here. But, working with Intellectual property rights had shown me a right way and a wrong way.

On another note, The Dallas Observer used to be so much more than it is now. Used to actually stand for things, now it pretty much sells out for ad space. Another artsy venue that had to adopt, adapt and change or die.

I know, shocking that KRAM would know anything about this stuff and shocking more the side of the fight he favors! Ha!

This is truly a David and Goliath fight... But I remind you that David won!

Edited by KRAM1