Shaka Smart is going to Austin

Dr. Seuss

I'm kind of surprised, but then again I'm not. 3-4 years ago when teams started going after him he was young and he was putting loyalty over $. He thought he could consistently make unforeseen tournament runs like they had that one year and he is realizing that it was just a pipe dream. He's matured up, for better or worse, and is now chasing those dollar bills. I wish him all the worst case possible scenarios to happen to him now (of course in terms of athletics).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Wichita St is paying Greg Marshal the same thing... Wichita St.

Some universities prioritize while others sandbag.

I wouldn't denigrate Wichita State that way. They probably have more basketball tradition than Texas. Plus, it's their #1 sport.

• Upvote 1

Wichita St is paying Greg Marshal the same thing... Wichita St.

Some universities prioritize while others sandbag.

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

For god's sake, man, pony up or shut up. You have come on here several times and proudly proclaimed that you withhold what you could really be financially contributing, then day after day after day after god forsaken miserable day lambaste the ever living shit out of UNT at every minute possible opportunity with no backing to pay for what you want other than PUT IT ON THE BACKS OF THE STUDENTS! RAISE THE FREAKING STUDENT FEE!

This mentality brought the housing crisis, man. CAN'T PAY FOR IT? F IT! RING IT UP! GIVE ME THAT 3-YEAR BALLOON PAYMENT ARM! WE'LL FIGURE IT ALL OUT LATER!

UNT is crotch deep in financial shit already. I don't want my university pissing even more away just because Wichita St. (read: The Jones) does it. .

It's a university first and foremost, in existence to educate and mold young minds into productive citizens. A byproduct of that is a sports program. Whether that sports program becomes some national brand with logoed beanies in every corner 7-11 or not is, contrary to what many here seem to believe, not in direct correlation with the size of your office water cooler manhood.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

For god's sake, man, pony up or shut up. You have come on here several times and proudly proclaimed that you withhold what you could really be financially contributing, then day after day after day after god forsaken miserable day lambaste the ever living shit out of UNT at every minute possible opportunity with no backing to pay for what you want other than PUT IT ON THE BACKS OF THE STUDENTS! RAISE THE FREAKING STUDENT FEE!

This mentality brought the housing crisis, man. CAN'T PAY FOR IT? F IT! RING IT UP! GIVE ME THAT 3-YEAR BALLOON PAYMENT ARM! WE'LL FIGURE IT ALL OUT LATER!

UNT is crotch deep in financial shit already. I don't want my university pissing even more away just because Wichita St. (read: The Jones) does it. .

It's a university first and foremost, in existence to educate and mold young minds into productive citizens. A byproduct of that is a sports program. Whether that sports program becomes some national brand with logoed beanies in every corner 7-11 or not is, contrary to what many here seem to believe, not in direct correlation with the size of your office water cooler manhood.

i-m-with-stupid-t-shirt-white-american-a

• Upvote 3

I think its a pretty good hire. Surprised they didn't even talk to Marshall who is a better coach IMO. Some Texas insiders were quoted as saying that Marshall coveted the UT job, yeah okay no way.

Smart will be able to add a jolt of energy to their program. He is gonna be able to recruit a little bit better than Barnes. He is not a real upgrade in strategy. When his press breaks gets broken down and he cant get those easy buckets he will have to figure out how to get his offense to score against the big boys in the half court. Not saying he cant do it, but his teams have never ranked in the top 20 in offensive efficiency.

Does this mean we can hire our new WBB coach now? Or is this just completely non-UNT related?

You mean like all the threads not exactly related to UNT Football that get posted there?

If it's about college basketball, I think this is a better place to put it than the pie forum.

Side note: The VCU board utterly cratered last night from overload. I still can't get on there to see reaction.

I'm sure there's a small but vocal group of people there who think this is a good thing for VCU, since it's been 4 years and Smart has yet to take them to the next level.

I'm sure there's a small but vocal group of people there who think this is a good thing for VCU, since it's been 4 years and Smart has yet to take them to the next level.

It will probably crater again in 3 years whenever Smart's guys are either graduated or run off by the next dude, and a visible poster explains that this new team is better than the team from 3 years ago.

• Upvote 2

It will probably crater again in 3 years whenever Smart's guys are either graduated or run off by the next dude, and a visible poster explains that this new team is better than the team from 3 years ago.

VCU would NEVER allow that to occur.

The difference between us and them. Hell, us and everyone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To be fair, Butler did have a losing season after Brad Stevens left. They rebounded in a big way this year though.

Did they have everyone returning from a very young and very talented team? We're they picked to win their conference, only to finish in the lower half and then get blown out in a first round conference tourney game?

Gotta compare apples to apples.

Problem is the above scenerio only happens at UNT, and only at UNT is nothing done about it.

For 4 freaking years.

He swings and its a high fly ball to deep left center going, going, and gone into the upper deck!
  • Upvote 1

Did they have everyone returning from a very young and very talented team? We're they picked to win their conference, only to finish in the lower half and then get blown out in a first round conference tourney game?

Gotta compare apples to apples.

Problem is the above scenerio only happens at UNT, and only at UNT is nothing done about it.

For 4 freaking years.

Well, one could also say they were just a couple of years away from playing in the national title game (twice), lost their coach...and then had a losing season in the first year of the new guy. I bet folks in Indianapolis were not happy at all.

BTW - that is not me defending Benford, I have repeatedly mentioned I would like him gone. I'm just saying.

Well, one could also say they were just a couple of years away from playing in the national title game (twice), lost their coach...and then had a losing season in the first year of the new guy. I bet folks in Indianapolis were not happy at all.

BTW - that is not me defending Benford, I have repeatedly mentioned I would like him gone. I'm just saying.

Oh, I know. But how many seniors did they lose from the year previous to the new guy? Did they know they would be rebuilding? Was a down year expected?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/201314_Butler_Bulldogs_men%27s_basketball_team

So, they lose their coach in August and enter into a new and MUCH tougher conference.

Then, their best player goes down preseason with a season ending injury. Then a couple of kids transfer.

Again, apples and oranges.

Edited by UNT90

For god's sake, man, pony up or shut up. You have come on here several times and proudly proclaimed that you withhold what you could really be financially contributing, then day after day after day after god forsaken miserable day lambaste the ever living shit out of UNT at every minute possible opportunity.

Ahem.....cough....cough....regarding Ben....well, I am here to confirm that he is now a Mean Green Club member joining at my "arm twisting" as some on here have called my fund raising attempts, and he joined above the minimum level as well.

So, unlike some who love to pontificate about all that is wrong with UNT and UNT athletics, Ben is placing his money squarely where his mouth is these days.

Might be time to consider a different angle to attack him...or maybe pick on someone else who bashes UNT all the time...anyone come to mind Old Guy?

• Upvote 1