WKU vs. UNT game changed

Dr. Seuss

So...honest/ignorant question here: they moved this game so it will be nationally televised, right? so what if we get spanked on national tv for the first time at apogee? will it still be "good" that we got on the national spotlight, or will our poor product just have a nation-sized spotlight shined on it?

I expect WKU to win the East this year. If our play does not significantly improve from last year, your nightmare scenario is a very real possibility.

• Upvote 1

I think WKU is a hype machine. They have a good QB with a very potent passing game. They have little to no run game and their D is about horrible. WKU's weakness is playing a physical, ball control offense which plays into our strengths and we get them at home.

They were a few plays away from literally going 4-8 but yet a few plays away from going 10-2. They played most teams closely with the exceptions of getting thumped by La Tech and thumping utsa. I think with a pumped crowd and a well managed game by Canales & Co. we'll have a very good chance of keeping that game close and possibly even taking a comfortable lead in the 2nd half.

This will be a pivotal game for our team being we'll be sitting at 2-3 or 3-2... It's a game to possibly get us to .500 or widen the gap away from .500.

• Upvote 2

I think WKU is a hype machine. They have a good QB with a very potent passing game. They have little to no run game and their D is about horrible. WKU's weakness is playing a physical, ball control offense which plays into our strengths and we get them at home.

They were a few plays away from literally going 4-8 but yet a few plays away from going 10-2. They played most teams closely with the exceptions of getting thumped by La Tech and thumping utsa. I think with a pumped crowd and a well managed game by Canales & Co. we'll have a very good chance of keeping that game close and possibly even taking a comfortable lead in the 2nd half.

This will be a pivotal game for our team being we'll be sitting at 2-3 or 3-2... It's a game to possibly get us to .500 or widen the gap away from .500.

Our defense (particularly the patched-up secondary) is going to need to be ready for the passing onslaught.

If our offense sputters and/or loses the turnover margin, like we did so often last year, we're in serious trouble.

I happen to be OK with Thursday games, but that's simply because of my personal situation. However, moving this one presents a challenge for me. We will be overseas...Australia in fact...just returning the day of that game now that it has been moved. Originally planned the trip to have a couple of days to R&R after the long flight home. And with having to miss another home game already, this will be tough. I guess it depends upon if the plane arrives back at DFW on time, how long it takes to get through customs at DFW and what the traffic is like getting up I-35 during drive time. Well, not to mention my state of fatigue after a long flight back.

But, hey, it's Mean Green football...doubtful the bride will buy into driving straight from the airport to Apogee, but will hope I have time to drop her at home before kick-off. Well, unless I can try to talk her in to just coming on to the game. Any of you big time talkers got any ideas on how to convince her to come with me to the game? What do you think it might cost me in "make up" things/money/chores to get her to agree?

I totally agree - I think we can run the ball down their throats and stand a chance. But that's not really what my question was (again, pardon my pointedness). I'm asking, largely to the people saying that they see this as a good thing because of the national exposure: is it still a good thing IF we get crushed? They moved this game just so we'd be on national TV. Meaning that a loss with small conference implications would be blown up to a national scale. Do we gain more than we lose if we get blown out? Is being on national TV really a good thing, no matter what?

Question: Is Homecoming going to be against Portland State so zero alumni care to come watch the game?

Fixed.

I will be there. Students will definitely be there.

I think what you're saying is that they are making that game homecoming in order to entice people? If so, I'd probably agree.

Edited by Aldo

So...honest/ignorant question here: they moved this game so it will be nationally televised, right? so what if we get spanked on national tv for the first time at apogee? will it still be "good" that we got on the national spotlight, or will our poor product just have a nation-sized spotlight shined on it?

publicity is publicity...good, bad or whatever

We're talking about a football game...not covering up a crime...so yes...win or lose...I think the exposure would benifit North Texas more than it would hurt.

• Upvote 2

The scheduling is so piss poor. I use to think they were doing a good job but it's straight up ridiculous now.

Question: Is Homecoming going to be against Portland State so zero people care to come watch the game?

Yes. It was sent out in an email today. Homecoming is usually against a team you think you can beat, it's just sad that we have to sink to the FCS level to find one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So Leon Allen going for 1542 yards, 5.7 ypc, 13 tds is little to no run game? Not to mention Anthony Wales who went for 518 yards. Both those guys are back.

2014 WKU Rushing

Rush Play % 42.69% (#116) Yards/Rush 4.9 (#30) Rushes/Game 33.0 (#106) Rush Yards/Game 162.6 (#63)

The WKU offense will be capable of beating us in multiple ways. They dont really need a good defense when their offense can put up 50 points a game. Their D is returning 8 starters so its likely to improve. Their secondary was really weak last year, I'm not sold on the fact that we have a QB that could take advantage of that.

• Upvote 1

Yes. It was sent out in an email today. Homecoming is usually against a team you think you can beat, it's just sad that we have to sink to the FCS level to find one.

We can't play an FCS team for Homecoming. It's just pathetic. Several of my friends aren't going to come in town to watch a garbage game like that. And they wonder why they have trouble getting alumni to come to games. (Outside of the few hardcore alumni anyway) I hope they don't do it but they will.

Any of you big time talkers got any ideas on how to convince her to come with me to the game? What do you think it might cost me in "make up" things/money/chores to get her to agree?

Jet lag coming back in that direction will murder you. I just did that flight in January, you will want to sleep for two days straight.

• Upvote 1

We can't play an FCS team for Homecoming. It's just pathetic. Several of my friends aren't going to come in town to watch a garbage game like that. And they wonder why they have trouble getting alumni to come to games. (Outside of the few hardcore alumni anyway) I hope they don't do it but they will.

There might be some people who would get geared up for it: HC festivities give some extra incentive to come regardless of opponent, and it might appeal to them that they can look forward to a win.

There might be some people who would get geared up for it: HC festivities give some extra incentive to come regardless of opponent, and it might appeal to them that they can look forward to a win.

It might even make attendance for this game better since people do come back for HC. It could also lead those who don't normally come to games to attend more games since they had fun at a big win.

Nah, the whole thing sucks and the season is already lost.

This reminds me...

Whatever happened to Mean Green Man and his motivational posts? Did the negativity finally drive him off?

Yes, he got ran off by negativity. He threw down a last post months ago and hadn't been back. Or at least I haven't seen him post. Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

As sorry as it sounds, I don't blame him.

Maybe one day UNT90 will see the glass half full and Mean Green Man will return.

I hate the constant 'bellyaching' and 'rah rah no matter what' in equal measure if/when it isn't warranted. (After HOD bowl rah rah was right emotion and after the last football season and the Benford era pissing and moaning is right).

Other than that, the glass question is easy. It's half full if its water, half empty if its beer.

It's hard to be optimistic when the football team has only had 1 winning season in a decade.

No...no it isn't. It depends on ones perspective and basic view of the world and life around them. It really is a personal choice. But, this is a talk for another time and place. Some just see something, anything, and look for the negatives first. Others see the same thing and see the positives. Matter of choice. We all know some things make no sense, such as the German airline suicide mass murder, and it is hard to understand no matter one's basic outlook on life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1