A few names to keep in mind with the UNT search

Harry

perhaps. there are times to do it and times not to. hopefully RV recognizes that just because he picked the wrong time to roll the dice once that doesn't mean you throw the dice in the trash.

I think actually that is exactly what happened. He threw away the dice. Explains McCarney, Peterson, and even Benford (big-time program, long time assistant).

• Downvote 1

We don't have near the information that the AD does. To make that hire at that time and it turn out so disastrous, and then not to admit a mistake for 4 years is unforgivable.

RV didn't cause the 80 million dollar accounting fiasco and to ignore the ramifications of that is not being realistic. He still believes Benford can turn it around - and I know many disagree. But until we get a verdict from the state we aren't in a position to buy out contracts agreed?

I think actually that is exactly what happened. He threw away the dice. Explains McCarney, Peterson, and even Benford (big-time program, long time assistant).

oh I do too...very Tom Hicks-ian...just, you know...hope(?)

RV didn't cause the 80 million dollar accounting fiasco and to ignore the ramifications of that is not being realistic. He still believes Benford can turn it around - and I know many disagree. But until we get a verdict from the state we aren't in a position to buy out contracts agreed?

let's say he does turn it around and levels off to .500 after 4 seasons...what then?

Kaspar would've been an awful fit. I mean...I guess no worse than what we have, but with a UNT degree so still +1 to Kaspar. Plus, he's not exactly done a bang up job at TSU...22-40 (hey, he may be available again soon!!!)

It took Kaspar 3 years to turn an SFA program that had won 10 games in two years before him into a 20 win team. So to me the verdict is still out on his TXST venture. He was 215-54 at Incarnate Word, and between his time there and at SFA has 7 Regular season conference Championships, including averaging one every two years over a six year span towards the end of his time at SFA.

i would have liked to have seen what he could have done for us back then?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 2

Except Fly has posted on here that money isn't a problem, and most buy outs are done by big donors, no?

I tend to agree that his system might not have worked with the cancers, um players on that roster. But, as far as his work at txst, he inherited a about as bad a situation as JJ did. He has them on a steady climb it seems.

12-22 the year before Kaspar (with an amazing 3 game conference win streak in March that somehow didn't save the coach's job).

8-23 Kaspar's 1st year

14-17 this year (his second)

He loses 3 seniors that combined to average 16.9 points a game.

I'd bet they are well over .500 next season.

Edited by UNT90

Harry many people have posted this but it is a poor excuse. Athletics is supposed to be self supporting by Texas law. Sure, some things (super pit) can be dual usage but that money can't be used solely for athletics. If the school was swimming in money none of it could be used to build a baseball field or even buy a single plate for the weight room.

That is why Apogee had to be built with a fee and not out of general funds. That is why scholarships are paid out of MGC money and not the general fund. That is why coaches are not paid out of the general fund. Sure, by law athletics money can be given to the general fund, and the school can even demand that athletics money be moved over to the general fund, but as far as I know that has never happened at NT.

If we don't have money to buy out a coach, it's because athletics hasn't raised that money. If we can't afford to build a baseball program, it's because athletics hasn't raised that money. If we can't afford to have the right recruiting resources or hire the right coaches, again it's because athletics hasn't raised that money. All that has to be separate from the general fund. If the school had hundreds of millions of dollars extra none of it can go directly to athletics.

• Upvote 2

Can we hire someone who is smart, knows how to run a program, get a lot out of their players, and can recruit? I don't care where they're from, and we shouldn't be picky either. We're not in a position to be picky and have a lot of criteria on what we want.

As long as RV is still making the hires we have to trust that he'll be able to identify in interviews who has the brains for this job.

Harry many people have posted this but it is a poor excuse. Athletics is supposed to be self supporting by Texas law. Sure, some things (super pit) can be dual usage but that money can't be used solely for athletics. If the school was swimming in money none of it could be used to build a baseball field or even buy a single plate for the weight room.

That is why Apogee had to be built with a fee and not out of general funds. That is why scholarships are paid out of MGC money and not the general fund. That is why coaches are not paid out of the general fund. Sure, by law athletics money can be given to the general fund, and the school can even demand that athletics money be moved over to the general fund, but as far as I know that has never happened at NT.

If we don't have money to buy out a coach, it's because athletics hasn't raised that money. If we can't afford to build a baseball program, it's because athletics hasn't raised that money. If we can't afford to have the right recruiting resources or hire the right coaches, again it's because athletics hasn't raised that money. All that has to be separate from the general fund. If the school had hundreds of millions of dollars extra none of it can go directly to athletics.

State funds cannot be directly used for athletics, but that is far from athletics having to be self supporting. Again, were do you think all the funds that magically balance the budget come from before and after any dedicated athletic fees were enacted? Edited by GrandGreen

Jalie and the Battlin' Aston's just punched their ticket to the Sweet 16 in only their third year in Austin, and the first time for tU in 11 years.

Final: TEXAS 73, Cal 70. UT advances to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2004…will await the winner of UConn-Rutgers in Albany #HookEm

— Texas Longhorns WBB (@TexasWBB)

March 23, 2015

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

State funds cannot be directly used for athletics, but that is far from athletics having to be self supporting. Again, were do you think all the funds that magically balance the budget come from before and after any dedicated athletic fees were enacted?

Student service fees

Edited by 97and03