Top candidates to replace Coach Pete

Harry

http://www.sfajacks.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/brandon_schneider_640085.html

Brandon Schneider,...Stephen F. Austin.

He's young, around 45 years old.

4 straight 20 plus win seasons.

Went 306-72 at Emplria State and a D II National Championship in 2010.

11 of 12 years ESU went to the NCAA.

Had two 30 plus seasons, nine 20 plus seasons.

Is a Canyon, Texas native, which is home to some of greatest women's high school basketball talent in the state.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

http://www.sfajacks.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/brandon_schneider_640085.html

Brandon Schneider,...Stephen F. Austin.

He's young, around 45 years old.

4 straight 20 plus win seasons.

Went 306-72 at Emplria State and a D II National Championship in 2010.

11 of 12 years ESU went to the NCAA.

Had two 30 plus seasons, nine 20 plus seasons.

Is a Canyon, Texas native, which is home to some of greatest women's high school basketball talent in the state.

Rick

Per greenpedler on the MnG board, Schneider is currently making around $120K a year, or about $50K less than Peterson was making.

Rick

The topic of this thread really should be NT FANS' Top candidates to replace Coach Pete because who the AD chooses to interview versus who the fan base wants to see interviewed is never the same.

• Upvote 1

Oh, just posting here to complain about people posting in this thread, right?

Rick

The way hires always seem to work as follows:

1. Fans put together their list of prospects and post it on their favorite fan message board

2. AD puts his/her list of prospects

3. Interviews begin

3b. Rumors start to fly as to who is/is not getting interviewed

4. Fans become angry when some of their people aren't the ones getting interviewed

5. Coach is hired

5b. Some fans are hurt that their guy/girl didn't get the job and want to rake the AD of the coals because they feel their coach should have gotten at least an interview

5b. Some fans are hurt that their guy/girl didn't get the job and want to rake the AD of the coals because they feel their coach should have gotten at least an interview

This would be about 1,456 on the list of things to rake the AD over the coals for.

Yes, sadly, there are that many things...

This would be about 1,456 on the list of things to rake the AD over the coals for.

Yes, sadly, there are that many things...

It still happens. Look at how the last hire for the women's basketball program went and how some people wanted now HC at Marshall to be hired here. It'll happen again like the sun sets in the west.

It still happens. Look at how the last hire for the women's basketball program went and how some people wanted now HC at Marshall to be hired here. It'll happen again like the sun sets in the west.

So, those fans were right? Yes, I'm sure that will lead them to question the person that made the wrong hire when he makes yet another hire they feel is wrong.

Because they have been right more often than the guy doing the hiring...

So, those fans were right? Yes, I'm sure that will lead them to question the person that made the wrong hire when he makes yet another hire they feel is wrong.

It's impossible to say Daniels would have done any different here versus Marshall.

God forbid than we should hire a North Texas alum to coach the women.

God forbid that NT hires a good qualified coach. Mitchell was a great player for NT, that does not mean that she is head coach material at this time. Just check the records of coaches that have returned to head their college team. Without a lot of analysis, I would guess their success rate is at best equal to any other hire. They may have a greater loyalty to the school, but that doesn't help if they are not a successful coach.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Remember when Stephens was hired? I and maybe one other questioned it for numerous reasons before she ever coached a game here and we caught hell about it. I admit, I suckered in and supported the Dodge hire. I thought he would bring in some good talent, and in that respect he did just that. But Stephens and the process in which she was hired sucked and I pegged it as such from the beginning, and it was.

Back to the scope of the thread,...

I've yet to see mention or hear of a better candidate that we certainly can afford than Schneider,...a guy who has been an extremely successful head coach since he was 25 years old and is still young and vibrant and still winning. But he's not from the ACC or the SEC or the Big Ten. So there's no way in hell we'll even bring him in to Denton for a formal interview after SFA is done with their post season, let alone hire him. It just makes too much sense.

Rick

• Downvote 1

It's impossible to say Daniels would have done any different here versus Marshall.

He won at a tough place before and he grew their fanbase while doing it. In fact, he's winning now in an even tougher place than here due to having less talent in state to recruit from. He had a better upside to him and would have been much more affordable than Petersen.

Rick

Right. Same conference. Same competition. I mean, worlds apart.

But he did have a distinct advantage in ADs.

He won at a tough place before and he grew their fanbase while doing it. In fact, he's winning now in an even tougher place than here due to having less talent in state to recruit from. He had a better upside to him and would have been much more affordable than Petersen.

Rick

Why do people insist on using such flawed logic??? Just because he does well somewhere else doesn't mean he will do well here. Is his success at other schools an indicator he might do well here? Yes but by no means is it a sure thing. Until he coaches here and deals with the circumstances he is dealt with here will anyone ever really know whether he's a success here. Until he coaches here he is really nothing more then a paper dragon.

It happens all the time where someone is hired with good credentials/references for a job and it just doesn't work out.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why do people insist on using such flawed logic??? Just because he does well somewhere else doesn't mean he will do well here. Is his success at other schools an indicator he might do well here? Yes but by no means is it a sure thing. Until he coaches here and deals with the circumstances he is dealt with here will anyone ever really know whether he's a success here. Until he coaches here he is really nothing more then a paper dragon.

It happens all the time where someone is hired with good credentials/references for a job and it just doesn't work out.

You are correct, but the fact that he is succeeding with a team in our conference is an indicator of what may have been.

Of course, he would have the disadvantage of the current AD situation to deal with. ?