New UNT helmet design by 3XL

Harry

agree with Ben Gooding...as much as some on here may want to stick their head in the sand and say that uniforms are not a small factor in recruiting...they're wrong.

The proof is in the P5 college numbers.

When traditional powerhouse colleges like Michigan, Notre Dame & Oklahoma have an "alternate" uniform...admittedly for recruiting...then it's a factor.

Out the 65 P5 colleges...all but 4...Alabama, Southern California, Penn State & Texas have had an alternate uniform.(*in the 2014 season...USC had chrome facemask for some games & Texas had a metallic longhorn the last 4 or 5 games of 2014).

Plus part of these traditional schools draw "is" their "traditional" uniforms. What kid would not be excited to put on a storied uniform and play top tier football for a Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Texas or Alabama, etc. Reality is a majority of the D1 programs are not these elite 15 programs. The point is...whether it's traditional, an alternate or both...uniforms are a part of the equation.

hands down...I personally prefer Oklahoma & Notre Dame's traditional & boring uniforms over their alternates or Oregon's metal feathers or Maryland's "Medieval Times" uniforms.

as far as alternates...who cares...if your school has the budget for an alternate...do it.

It's fun for a game or two...most of the students, athletes & the fans like it.

I agree with you. I bolded the part about recruiting because I never said it wasn't a small part of the equation. I just happen to believe it's a very small part where some people come across as believing its a major part of recruiting.

I don't really mind alternate uniforms per se, I just don't like the crazy, over the top stuff. Thankfully we haven't gone there yet and hopefully we won't. Alternate can be cool without being tricked up and I think our black helmets/uniforms are proof of that.

• Upvote 1

The two questions I am most frequently asked are "Where is North Texas"? and "How large is North Texas"?. What I find confusing from a marketing viewpoint is if we are the "MEAN GREEN", why do we have an eagle on our helmet or as part of our logo, and if we are "UNT" as regional billboard advertising would indicate why hang on to "NT"? From the outside looking in it seems we have an identity problem that we have somewhat created.UNT@Denton?

Edited by wardly
  • Upvote 1

True enough, but I don't think anyone would confuse North Texas with Alabama,Auburn, or Georgia Tech. With a few exceptions [s.C. for example] directional schools usually have a national identity problem. And I have had gray hair for much longer that I would care to admit.

As I've told RIck twice now and he fully understands,... we simply need a big win with the SOW on the helmet and it's cemented in the minds of most college football fans who pay attention, forever. There will be nothing else to debate from that day forward.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For what its worth department, R.V. told me that he went to "MEAN GREEN"[which I personally dislike] because there are too many high schools in the area with EAGLES as their mascot,and will not use "UNT" on helmet as people who live outside the area would have no idea who we were.While I understand his first point, my freshman year was 1961 and I can't give my eagle up.His second point I totally agree with.We were established as a regional school of learning and have yet to shake that image. Looking back, we MIGHT have been better served by becoming a part of The University of Texas system when we had the chance. Now that's a topic worthy of discussion.

• Downvote 1

There's over 40 colleges and universities that us the Eagle as their mascot.

There's only one Mean Green

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_nicknames#H.

So what does common sense tell us would be the easiest to market, eagle or Mean Green?

Of course talking about marketing and actually DOING it are two different things.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's over 40 colleges and universities that us the Eagle as their mascot.

There's only one Mean Green

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_nicknames#H.

So what does common sense tell us would be the easiest to market, eagle or Mean Green?

Of course talking about marketing and actually DOING it are two different things.

Rick

Interesting. I noticed that our two other choices (back in the day) for a mascot Dragons and Lions have three schools and 25 schools respectively.

Whilst perusing the list of mascots, one of the most interesting mascots (albeit unofficial) I noticed was Delta State's...."The Fighting Okra". They also claim to have the "worlds most annoying pep band".

We said no back in the 60's[if memory serves] or perhaps the 70's. At any rate, Texas Western and Arlington State opted for the UT system,while East Texas State and West Texas State joined the A&M system. At any rate, that ship has sailed, and since then we created a "system" that includes a D.O. medical school,a cheap law school for cheap lawyers, and a South Dallas campus that is a money pit. Who is to say whether or not we would have been better off under the UT umbrella, but those schools who made the move probably are.