serious question

golfingomez

Well the 1912 women's team was killed by Comanches... but outside of that, maybe.

We never should have signed that home and home with Comanche State...

To be fair, we had a home and home with Apache Tech signed and then they joined our conference. There is absolutely NO WAY we could have adjusted to this within the multiple years between that happening and our game against Comanche State.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

To be fair, we had a home and home with Apache Tech signed and then they joined our conference. There is absolutely NO WAY we could have adjusted to this within the multiple years between that happening and our game against Comanche State.

The sadder part was that we then signed a 2 for 0 road series with Texas Womans University since they were just Pioneers and not Indians, who were P5 in their day. The AD back then sold the TWU series as "alternative" home games that our fan could get to very easily...

Worst women's basketball team in the history of ever at UNT?

From strictly a won-loss perspective perhaps so. But, I have witnessed a lot of women's basketball in person at UNT, and this team is nowhere near the worst when it comes to effort and heart. These ladies can flat out play defense. It is the very puzzling fact that, for whatever reason, they have forgotten how to shoot the ball that has them stuck in this won-loss situation. It has gotten into their heads like a golfer with the yips! They are so psyched out with their shooting that they are passing up open shots.

If the shooting touch ever comes back, it is possible this team could go on a season end run, make the tourney and then see what happens. But, if they continue to shoot as poorly as they are...I am talking about missing open lay ups as well as jumpers and threes...it is THAT bad from an offensive standpoint for these ladies...it is also possible that they do not win another game this season.

Win or lose, i will continue to go watch them play...why? Because their is no quit in this group of stuedent-athletes.

Really a shame how the season has tirned out...if only the shooting touch had been there early on. Oh, well, it wasn't and the rest, as they say, is now history.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

From strictly a won-loss perspective perhaps so. But, I have witnessed a lot of women's basketball in person at UNT, and this team is nowhere near the worst when it comes to effort and heart. These ladies can flat out play defense. It is the very puzzling fact that, for whatever reason, they have forgotten how to shoot the ball that has them stuck in this won-loss situation. It has gotten into their heads like a golfer with the yips! They are so psyched out with their shooting that they are passing up open shots.

If the shooting touch ever comes back, it is possible this team could go on a season end run, make the tourney and then see what happens. But, if they continue to shoot as poorly as they are...I am talking about missing open lay ups as well as jumpers and threes...it is THAT bad from an offensive standpoint for these ladies...it is also possible that they do not win another game this season.

Win or lose, i will continue to go watch them play...why? Because their is no quit in this group of stuedent-athletes.

Really a shame how the season has tirned out...if only the shooting touch had been there early on. Oh, well, it wasn't and the rest, as they say, is now history.

Yay! Participation trophies for everybody! Can't wait for the pizza party at the end of the season!

• Upvote 5

The thing that really kills me about women's basketball this year is that it effectively saves Benford's job.

Right?

Be an optimist, and say the women go .500 the rest of the way. I wouldn't take that bet, but call it a best-case. That means a 7-22 finish to the regular season. Unless they win the NCAA tournament, that means 23 losses. And that is pretty optimistic. Worst case, you're looking at 2-28.

Put the same optimism on Benford, and we finish the regular season at 14-16. I don't think that's likely (put me down for 12-18), but say it happens. You end the year with a women's coach with somewhere around 23-25 losses, and a men's coach with 17-20.

There's no way I can even imagine we're going to buy out TWO coaches in the same season, especially given the accounting mess. So, is there any way that you can fire a men's coach when his women's counterpart is doing even worse in won/lost terms?

I can see us standing pat with both coaches, even if they both finish with 20+ losses. I definitely can't see us eating the money we'd owe Petersen if we fired him after this year, and I don't see how we can keep Petersen if we fired Benford. So... Year 4 for everyone?

The thing that really kills me about women's basketball this year is that it effectively saves Benford's job.

Right?

Be an optimist, and say the women go .500 the rest of the way. I wouldn't take that bet, but call it a best-case. That means a 7-22 finish to the regular season. Unless they win the NCAA tournament, that means 23 losses. And that is pretty optimistic. Worst case, you're looking at 2-28.

Put the same optimism on Benford, and we finish the regular season at 14-16. I don't think that's likely (put me down for 12-18), but say it happens. You end the year with a women's coach with somewhere around 23-25 losses, and a men's coach with 17-20.

There's no way I can even imagine we're going to buy out TWO coaches in the same season, especially given the accounting mess. So, is there any way that you can fire a men's coach when his women's counterpart is doing even worse in won/lost terms?

I can see us standing pat with both coaches, even if they both finish with 20+ losses. I definitely can't see us eating the money we'd owe Petersen if we fired him after this year, and I don't see how we can keep Petersen if we fired Benford. So... Year 4 for everyone?

Yay for a poor Athletic Department!

• Upvote 1

Right?

So you're telling me there's a chance!

Right?

Well, there will be a year 4 strictly because we won't buy out contracts before year 4 because we are too cheap.

HOWEVER, lets say the seas part, the skies part, and the BOR decides to buy out only one contract. It needs tone the contract of the most important sport to the interests of the university, and that hands down is Men's basketball.

But, Benny and Peterson have the safest 4 year job in America, so neither are going anywhere.

Yay! Participation trophies for everybody! Can't wait for the pizza party at the end of the season!

Now, that's pretty funny. Good one.

But, tell me. How many games gave you watched them play in person? If you have watched any in person, tell me where my assessment is off base in any way? Serious question.

You do seem pretty familiar with how participation trophies are handled. Did you always get a pizza party?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Funny...a thread discussing women's basketball and somehow it becomes yet another discussion of Coach Benford. Some folks seem to be fixated on Coach Benford. Man crushes perhaps.....from afar of course.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Funny...a thread discussing women's basketball and somehow it becomes yet another discussion of Coach Benford. Some folks seem to be fixated on Coach Benford. Man crushes perhaps.....from afar of course.

Related to the topic, in that the historical awfulness of performance affects other programs.

But... I am pretty fixated on Benford. He's awful.

That's how you make a direct statement. Try it sometime!

Related to the topic, in that the historical awfulness of performance affects other programs.

But... I am pretty fixated on Benford. He's awful.

That's how you make a direct statement. Try it sometime!

Oh, Oh...blink, blink.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In a perfect world there are three engines that drive the athletic department. Football is hitting on four cylinders, men's basketball on 2 and women's basketball on 1. The engines are definitely choking and laboring right now.

In a perfect world there are three engines that drive the athletic department. Football is hitting on four cylinders, men's basketball on 2 and women's basketball on 1. The engines are definitely choking and laboring right now.

...and that's the slim sliver of hope.

If we keep both basketball coaches, I wouldn't want to be our Athletic Director 10 months from now. It's very conceivable we could miss out on a bowl due largely to an awful schedule of my own creation, then roll into Year 4 with two different basketball coaches with multiple 20 loss seasons here.

If I'm Rick V. I don't know that I'm comfortable saying "Yep, these are all my guys, and that was my schedule" to a Year 2 University President who may finally be getting some financial flexibility by then. Unless I'm potentially ready to ride off into the sunset myself, retirement or otherwise.

Maybe something happens next month, just so that it doesn't all come together in an even uglier way a year from now.

I think one could fairly link the two since the inevitable subject of buy outs comes up when considering the state the programs and likely budget restrictions.

Edited by Army of Dad

If we keep both basketball coaches, I wouldn't want to be our Athletic Director 10 months from now. It's very conceivable we could miss out on a bowl due largely to an awful schedule of my own creation, then roll into Year 4 with two different basketball coaches with multiple 20 loss seasons here.

If I'm Rick V. I don't know that I'm comfortable saying "Yep, these are all my guys, and that was my schedule" to a Year 2 University President who may finally be getting some financial flexibility by then. Unless I'm potentially ready to ride off into the sunset myself, retirement or otherwise.

Maybe something happens next month, just so that it doesn't all come together in an even uglier way a year from now.

avengers-brucelee.gif

Are you really RV?

tumblr_lkfoq2sAsV1qbqayg.gif

EDIT: In all seriousness, the only catalyst for a change at AD will come from Dr. Smatresk. Will he have enough pull to convince Jackson/BOR to make a change? Because we know that the $ for his buyout will not come from the boosters.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

There is just no way that Smaestrek will ever get the BOR and administration to fire RV for something like losing. He'd have to have either missed budget (gasp!!) or done something unethical (like speak out about the wisdom of making athletics a secondary window to a university in Texas) to get canned.

He has the safest AD job in America.

Benford was never going to get fired if he won more than 5 games, which was a layup considering the schedule he got this year. Its just a matter of if he can get to that magical .500 number for an extension, which is highly doubtful right now. As far as Petersen goes, he will probably be here until his actual contract runs out if Benford doesn't get extended this year. IIRC, Benford's contract is up in 2017, meaning 2016 is his make-it-or-break-it year. Since very few people care about womens hoops, you can easily see a situation develop where Benford got bought out after 2016 and then Petersen gets let go of after the 2017 season, which is when his contract expires. If anyone got bought out early, it would assuredly be Petersen, since the known costs of that buyout would be $500k, whereas benford's buyout would be a known cost of around $650-$700k. As we all know, known costs are THE determinant for any personnel changes at UNT.

Now if Benford pulled off the miracle of reaching .500 and gets an extension after this season, then I think you can make a clear call that next season would be Petersen's make-it-or-break-it season, since that would just be one buyout to deal with. Right now, Benford's and Petersen's contracts run out in the spring of 2017, while McCarney's runs through the 2018 season. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Benford getting extended after next year until 2019 (RV badly wants this hire to not be deemed a complete failure even though most of us feel like he already has been one of epic proportions), Petersen gets fired in 2016, and McCarney either getting bought out in 2017 or announcing his retirement so that 2018 will be his last season and we don't have to pay out any buyout for him. And RV will be the AD well into the 2020's.

• Upvote 1

Now, that's pretty funny. Good one.

But, tell me. How many games gave you watched them play in person? If you have watched any in person, tell me where my assessment is off base in any way? Serious question.

You do seem pretty familiar with how participation trophies are handled. Did you always get a pizza party?

None this season. I've seen enough Peterson ball to know it's a bad product. Looking at the attendance numbers, you're clearly in the minority.

And you're the one that should know all about participation trophies since you support an athletic director who is simply interested in participating instead of winning.

• Upvote 3

I watched them at home this season one time and left at Half because it was so bad. Quite possibly the worst I have seen in fundamentals outside of a kids team. Counted 7...SEVEN traveling calls in the first half.