Lewis Caralla : New UNT S & C coach

NT03

Let's not get S&C coaching mixed up with in-game coaching.

Except that their main final product (the OL and DL) either dominates/holds their own, or gets dominated, or if you will, handled.

It strikes me that S&C coaches are kind of like the guys that put in the re-bar in big construction jobs.It can be the greatest re-bar job in the world, but all their great work gets covered up by all that concrete. And in the case of the S&C coach, half of the time, all their good work gets covered up by the final score of the game.

Edited by SilverEagle

I think there are equally valid points being made here.

1. There's benefit in hiring someone who's experienced a low-budget program and the constraints that exist there

2. There's benefit in hiring someone who's experiences the top tier and can, therefore, have more than an "idea" of what can be improved on - if budget increases are available

I think we've found a good blend of these two.

1. His playing days were at Defiance College (Defiance, Ohio). I can safely say he's experienced the players' side of a limited budget

2. His coaching days have seen him with stops in the ACC, SEC, and Big10

Seems to me he should be able to (as should have been required of all applicants) establish a program that maximizes the current budget while also being able to earmark how additional funds would be allocated.

• Upvote 1

I think the worries about the budget are pretty funny. What is the budget outside of the S&C Coach's salary? All of the equipment has been purchased and is in place. Additional items of need each year are minimal. The major cost involved are the start up costs, facility, equipment, etc..., which was included in the A/C opening. I would tread lightly regarding a "supplement program" as supplements are not controlled and contents cannot be verified. Supplements fall outside of FDA oversight since they are not considered a food or a drug. If the training table is well stocked, these young men will get plenty of calories and from the correct sources to not need supplementation.

I want someone from a proven system that is well respected in the S&C community, that keeps up with the latest research, etc... ala Wintrich, and it appears Caralla fits this mold.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

I think the worries about the budget are pretty funny. What is the budget outside of the S&C Coach's salary? All of the equipment has been purchased and is in place. Additional items of need each year are minimal. The major cost involved are the start up costs, facility, equipment, etc..., which was included in the A/C opening. I would tread lightly regarding a "supplement program" as supplements are not controlled and contents cannot be verified. Supplements fall outside of FDA oversight since they are not considered a food or a drug. If the training table is well stocked, these young men will get plenty of calories and from the correct sources to not need supplementation.

I want someone from a proven system that is well respected in the S&C community, that keeps up with the latest research, etc... ala Wintrich, and it appears Caralla fits this mold.

That's a BIG part of these guys' jobs. They know exactly which supplements (and how much) should be administered to each individual athlete to get them exactly where they want these guys to be.

MeanGreenTexan, I have worked in the health club industry for over 20 years. You don't need supplements if your diet is managed correctly. A properly run S&C program should employ a dietician to insure these products are not needed. People waste more money on unregulated products hoping for that magic pill when hard work and proper eating habits is all they need.

• Upvote 2

That's a BIG part of these guys' jobs. They know exactly which supplements (and how much) should be administered to each individual athlete to get them exactly where they want these guys to be.

I've seen several schools with coolers and cases of unlimited supplies of protein like eas and muscle milk for athletes before and after workouts.

Im not a fitness guru and dont know anything about whats the best or whats dangerous, but I do know that those that use supplements get more results than those that do not. Wintrich is not against supplements either, so I can only conclude there other reasons why UNT does not provide them to the players.

• Upvote 1

MeanGreenTexan, I have worked in the health club industry for over 20 years. You don't need supplements if your diet is managed correctly. A properly run S&C program should employ a dietician to insure these products are not needed. People waste more money on unregulated products hoping for that magic pill when hard work and proper eating habits is all they need.

Not saying eat 5 Taco Bell bean burritos and then take some ephedrine or something. Supplements are called such for a reason. Gotta use them correctly, as I'm sure you know.

I'm sure diet is a huge part of this job. Wintrich had a laundry list of good foods & bad foods for his program. I'm sure Caralla does too.

• Upvote 3

he_s_right_you_know_by_nightdemon12-d70r

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

This. Supplements can be quite pricey. As well as specialized equipment that a S&C guy may need specific to an athlete or program.

This isn't the 1950s.

I'm sure Caralla is a smart man & did his homework before accepting the job. He wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't want it.

Maximum 128 college football head S&C jobs available in the world. That's a pretty small job market, my friend.

He wasn't turning down this job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting, yet the BEST athletes in the world take supplements, NBA, NFL, OLYMPIANS, MLB etc... Come on man, you do need supplementation, problem is these days there just is not enough of the good stuff in food. Most of these kids don't even get close to the proper levels of Protein, vitamins, or minerals.

• Upvote 2

Eh. I'm wary of this hire.

I would think all of Michigan's personnel would be toxic after last year's repeated display of ineptitude in regards to the safety and health of their athletes.

It was most evident by Coach Hoke and their medical staff, but purportedly their S&C group was involved as well.

• Upvote 1

Except that their main final product (the OL and DL) either dominates/holds their own, or gets dominated, or if you will, handled.

It strikes me that S&C coaches are kind of like the guys that put in the re-bar in big construction jobs.It can be the greatest re-bar job in the world, but all their great work gets covered up by all that concrete. And in the case of the S&C coach, half of the time, all their good work gets covered up by the final score of the game.

I have complete faith in Wintrich and his program. To a fault? Maybe. My opinion, I think the losses to UTSA speak volumes about other areas of our game (or program, if you will) that lacked those days.

Interesting, yet the BEST athletes in the world take supplements, NBA, NFL, OLYMPIANS, MLB etc... Come on man, you do need supplementation, problem is these days there just is not enough of the good stuff in food. Most of these kids don't even get close to the proper levels of Protein, vitamins, or minerals.

• Upvote 2

Well, UNT90 has spoken and I forgot he is always right.

Outside of protein supplements, which should be monitored due to kidney issues, most supplements are a waste. Yes, retail they are expensive, but supplements/dietary aids have a huge mark-up, so the cost to the program should not be that high.

There are several long term university based studies on the effectiveness of creatine and protein whey powder. Outside of those I agree with Lifer.

I would also add certain multi-vitamins, fish oil, and vitamin D should be a regular part of the supplement package. I agree about creatine and proteins like Whey.

• Upvote 2