Ohio State Undisputed Champions?

FirefightnRick

That should have gotten Jimmy Kimmel's poster win...another lame bit at halftime.

Ohio State's $1.1 BILLION program (give or take $27 million) just increased in value.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-your-college-team-worth-1421081367

Ironically, the give or take is about where NT was valued...#82 if you are keeping score.

GMG

My TCWho friends are convinced that the Horned Frogs would have beaten any of the teams in the playoffs. I think my Horned Frog friends need to put down their crack pipes and quit whining.

Maybe. They're a good team. And if they'd held onto a 20-something point 4th-quarter lead at Baylor, they might have been able to find out. But I've no sympathy for any team with a loss. Once you lose, the chips fall where they may.

Edited by Eagle1855

Still love the playoff. Its a step in the right direction when the 4th seed can win it all. I think the playoff committee did a great job.

I think this is finally the first step in the right direction. Once ESPN and the conferences see how lucrative this can be, it is just a matter of time before we have a 16 team play-off.

Of course, we, nor the other G5 schools will get a seat at the table.

Possibly the most stupid thing I've seen posted, written and commented on about this new so called playoff system so far:

..."How wonderful, Imagine how many more champions we would have had if it had been this way all along?"......

Yeah dumbass, like the same 10 to 12 mega money teams we've seen repeatedly win it the past 45 years?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah dumbass, like the same 10 to 12 mega money teams we've seen repeatedly win it the past 45 years?

Rick

I was curious, so I went back 45 years and tallied up the AP national champions. Since the 1969 season, 45 years, there have been exactly 20 national champions. One-offs are Auburn, BYU, Clemson, Colorado, Georgia, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee. All the others have won 2 or more.

Of the one-offs, the only non-P5 argument that could be made would be BYU, a member of the WAC at the time, and as I understand it, the catalyst for the power conferences to start getting really aggressive in pushing the smaller schools out of the picture. They just weren't having any of this minor conference national champion crap happening ever again.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

I just look at the AP Top 25 poll and see three G5 schools in there, one of whom (Boise State) is closer to being a P5 school than anyone else out there. Then the bones get thrown to Marshall and Memphis for their nice seasons. I'm not certain on this, but I believe that Marshall is the first team that UNT has played in a conference with that finished ranked at the end of the season, at least as far back as I know of. I don't remember if Rice was ranked at the end of last year, but I'm assuming not since they got run over in their bowl game.

I was curious, so I went back 45 years and tallied up the AP national champions. Since the 1969 season, 45 years, there have been exactly 20 national champions. One-offs are Auburn, BYU, Clemson, Colorado, Georgia, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee. All the others have won 2 or more.

Of the one-offs, the only non-P5 argument that could be made would be BYU, a member of the WAC at the time, and as I understand it, the catalyst for the power conferences to start getting really aggressive in pushing the smaller schools out of the picture. They just weren't having any of this minor conference national champion crap happening ever again.

Just another reason to have a Non-P5 playoff. Screw the Power 5, let them play in their sandbox we will play in ours. This year's teams would look something like this.

Memphis vs Boise St

Northern Illinois vs Marshall

Marshall vs Boise St

I Know it will never happen due to ego and pride of the Non P-5...but it is what it is..sit back and enjoy it.

• Upvote 2

Just another reason to have a Non-P5 playoff. Screw the Power 5, let them play in their sandbox we will play in ours. This year's teams would look something like this.

Memphis vs Boise St

Marshall vs Boise St

I Know it will never happen due to ego and pride of the Non P-5...but it is what it is..sit back and enjoy it.

And that would generate just as much excitement for the average college football fan as the 1AA ("FCS") playoffs.

Once the playoff gets to an 8-team playoff, there is at least the possibility for a non-P5 to crack the door. If it gets to 16, regardless of whether all conference champs get a bid, the potential is most definitely there. That's the direction that the non-P5 needs to push; and as more P5 conferences see themselves getting left out (like the Big XII this year), the more likely it is to become reality.

• Upvote 3

Memphis vs Boise St

Marshall vs Boise St

It won't happen because the non P-5 need the cash--their ADs and administrators look at the P5s to pay their athletic budgets for the year. If that dries up, theya re going to actually ahve to get creative in how to fund their departments.

The G5 and FCS top end programs would make for a fine division of football, but they are holding out as long as possible before the rug gets finally pulled out from underneath them financially from the P5s....

And that would generate just as much excitement for the average college football fan as the 1AA ("FCS") playoffs.

Once the playoff gets to an 8-team playoff, there is at least the possibility for a non-P5 to crack the door. If it gets to 16, regardless of whether all conference champs get a bid, the potential is most definitely there. That's the direction that the non-P5 needs to push; and as more P5 conferences see themselves getting left out (like the Big XII this year), the more likely it is to become reality.

8 teams.

All P5 champs get bids.

1 G5 school gets a bid (decided upon by a selection committee of G5 schools)

2 other wildcards (probably going to be P5, but leave the door open).

There you have it. This would be a beautiful thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I like it. It amazes me when these Bowl advocates talk about how a real playoff system would be too hard on the student athlete. What about the student athletes at North Dakota State? They played a 12 game regular season and 4 playoff games. Looking at the FCS bracket, it appears that they have a 24 team playoff so a 16 team playoff should be easily doable. I do prefer the 8 team method at this point as MGT laid out.

8 teams.

All P5 champs get bids.

1 G5 school gets a bid (decided upon by a selection committee of G5 schools)

2 other wildcards (probably going to be P5, but leave the door open).

There you have it. This would be a beautiful thing.

As much as I would love to see it, I REALLY don't think the P-5 would allow it. That means that this year Boise St. would have jumped from #20 in the rankings to grab the 8th seed ahead #8 Michigan State, #13 Georgia, #14 UCLA #19 Auburn just to name a few of the FBS Elitist programs.

In a perfect world an 8 team playoff or even a FCS 16 team format....but reality says the G5 is the stepchild and will never eat at the big kids table

As much as I would love to see it, I REALLY don't think the P-5 would allow it. That means that this year Boise St. would have jumped from #20 in the rankings to grab the 8th seed ahead #8 Michigan State, #13 Georgia, #14 UCLA #19 Auburn just to name a few of the FBS Elitist programs.

In a perfect world an 8 team playoff or even a FCS 16 team format....but reality says the G5 is the stepchild and will never eat at the big kids table

You're probably right, but it's always fun to see teams like FGCU make runs like they do in the b-ball tourney as the champ from some chump conference every once in a while. They deserve the seat at the table. If the G5 would agree to it, I don't know why the P5 wouldn't agree. It gives them 7-1 odds while satisfying the G5, and you can make the pesky G5 school the #8 seed if you really want to put the screws to them.

This is what I thought until last week. Herbstreit was on Mike and Mike laying this little nugget: If the playoff were to expand to 8 teams, the winner has to play 16 games. He argued that that was too many games to play with an 85 man scholarship limit. He said it would have to be expanded to allow teams to build enough depth to make it through that rigorous extra game.

I have been of the mind that all the autonomy crap was about protection from lawsuits and that the playoffs starting at 4 teams (though it obviously cut the G5 completely out of the picture) and everything else going on was not just about the P5 being a bunch of greedy bastards trying to horde every single penny. Until I heard that crap Herbstreit said last week. Make no mistake, that guy is as politically plugged in as they come. For him to say that publicly is a bad sign for the G5 schools.

Better yet, go back to 1950 when the National Champion, or at times, National Co-Champions, were designated as the "Consensus National Champion" by the NCAA. Since that time there has only been 16 teams to repeat, and amazingly, Michigan, Arkansas and Georgia aren't one of them.

And by the way, not counting the year they were on probation and ineligible despite going 11-0, Auburn has won it twice in '57 and '10, and gained media outlet top rankings but not overall "Consensus" in other years. So they are included with the 16.

I guess you can point out that had Oregon won last night they would have at least joined the club, and will have opportunities to repeat in the future with their wealth they throw at their program? Could say the same for TCU as well?

But until every conference champion gets a shot we'll be forced watching the same 12-16 teams every year gobble it all up while the other 112 teams are left out as it has been the past 65 years.

Rick

• Downvote 1

This is what I thought until last week. Herbstreit was on Mike and Mike laying this little nugget: If the playoff were to expand to 8 teams, the winner has to play 16 games. He argued that that was too many games to play with an 85 man scholarship limit. He said it would have to be expanded to allow teams to build enough depth to make it through that rigorous extra game.

I have been of the mind that all the autonomy crap was about protection from lawsuits and that the playoffs starting at 4 teams (though it obviously cut the G5 completely out of the picture) and everything else going on was not just about the P5 being a bunch of greedy bastards trying to horde every single penny. Until I heard that crap Herbstreit said last week. Make no mistake, that guy is as politically plugged in as they come. For him to say that publicly is a bad sign for the G5 schools.

Of course, you and I know that is a bunch of bull. 1AA and lower divisions have no problem playing a 16-team playoff, and they are only permitted 63 (or fewer) scholarships.

And if there are honestly legitimate concerns about the length of the season, there are other places to trim. The conferences really don't need conference championship games--they were initially all about making a few extra bucks for the SEC, anyway. And schools could feel free to schedule an 11-game regular season, like it always used to be not that long ago.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Of course, you and I know that is a bunch of bull. 1AA and lower divisions have no problem playing a 16-team playoff, and they are only permitted 63 (or fewer) scholarships.

And if there are honestly legitimate concerns about the length of the season, there are other places to trim. The conferences really don't need conference championship games--they were initially all about making a few extra bucks for the SEC, anyway. And schools could feel free to schedule an 11-game regular season, like it always used to be not that long ago.

Exactly. Which is why hearing P5 schools using the extra game as an excuse to raise the scholly limit can only be interpreted as a direct shot at the G5 schools and an attempt to further widen the gap.

Herbstreet would be perfectly fine if there were only 16 college football teams....period. He's the biggest P5 apologist on the planet.

Rick

I really wouldn't care if the biggest 32 programs split off, as well, but politics is what keeps the next 32 or so schools connected to them. But still, split off already. Become NFL farm teams. Play in your mega conferences and stick with your 4 team playoff. The P5 media doesn't give a lick about any G5 program, even Boise...they know that they are a nice little story, but that's it. 95+% of their attention and coverage is on the P5s, of which about 85% is spent on the top 32 programs, year-in and year-out.

We have already gotten used to being left behind. Very few bowl games even let the G5s play a P5 anymore--and the few that do will soon get shifted away from those matchups (Liberty Bowl comes to mind.) I just wish it would get done already. There will still be TV networks that will cover G5 football and basketball. There will still be alumni of those schools that will watch their teams play. It would be more fair, plus you have a chance to win an actual national championship, which no G5 school will ever get to do again, nor will most P5 schools either, but the money they have chosen to take has more than bought off that reality.