UNT lands UAB safety transfer Jakii Moore

Brett Vito

What is crazy to me is that Mac and his "big ass ring" he got coaching the defensive line at Florida with all their 1st round picks and national championships has not recruited defensive tackles anywhere near the level of an ex-SMU offensive coordinator (Dickey: Brandon Kennedy, Michael Pruitt, Evan Cardwell) or a high school head coach known for explosive offense (Dodge: Shavod Atkinson, Ryan Boutwell, Richard Abbe). This is Mac's fifth year and he hasn't landed a DT close to the caliber of those six players I just listed. Inexplicable.

None of it makes a damn bit of sense. McCarney's positives (his attitude, personality, history of development of linemen) haven't moved the needle one bit with recruits. Now, that attitude appears to be going the way of DIckey, who basically just gave up. I just don't understand it.

And the previous regime's had some good linemen, especially Dickey, but even then, all we could be were the dregs of college football, except for Cincy in the '02 NO Bowl. Again, it makes no sense.

Dodge was going to get the benefit of the doubt at first because of name recognition, but once it became abundantly clear in his third year that college coaching wasn't his thing, the remaining talent just needed a boost from a real staff, which McCarney did do, just to give him credit for that. But how that hasn't improved recruiting is just beyond me. It hasn't mattered if its Simon, Dickey, Dodge, or McCarney--our rivals recruiting ranking has been between 86 and 123 since '05, witth only three of those years being better than 100 ('10=99, "08=86, and "05 =95). Obvioulsy, losing is the only common issue in that timeframe, but you'd think that somehow, somebody would've sold playing time as a great recruiting chip and that some kids would have taken it.

It really makes you wonder if you can actually build a consistent winner here--we have had 4 winning seasons in 20 years of Division 1 football. I'm not ready to agree with Dickey and Mac and complain about recruiting here being extremely difficult, especially with the facilities and CUSA, but it all just doesn't quite add up--very perplexing. In the end, it doesn't really matter, since Mac will be here for at least three more seasons, maybe even 4. But it really doesn't make a bit of sense to me, at least, how recruiting just seems to languish here, year after year after year.

Edited by untjim1995

Can't believe you all are having this discussion on a day when we signed some really good D Line prospects. Abbé was not a contributor until his Junior season and his stats don't even compare to Kennedy's, Cardwell's or any of the others mentioned here. Abbé did his job we'll and really performed his role to perfection his Senior year.

• Upvote 2