Who In Hell Is Willie Fritz?

FirefightnRick

He's the No-Name coach that took Sam Houston to the FCS national championship several times in a row incudng last year. Who for probably less than $300K?,...walked into Georgia Southern his FIRST year there,...in their FIRST season in FBS in their FIRST season in the Sun Belt and went 8-0 to win the Sunbelt Championship.

http://www.gseagles.com/news/2014/11/30/FB_1130141420.aspx

I know,... it's hard to believe isn't it,....considering he didn't even come from the SEC, ACC or the Big East. But hey??????

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

The NCAA has declined GSU's appeal for bowl eligibility because they are in their FBS transitional season. That's a shame because this team is good and took Georgia Tech to the wire and probably should have won this year. And Georgia Tech, coming off a win over Georgia last weekend will play for the ACC title next week.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

i mean... I'm sure there has to be at least 2 or 3 guys in hell named Willie Fritz... you might have to be more specific with your request... the guy you are describing sounds like he is still living!

You know that expression - my appliance is "On the Fritz?" Yeah that was Hans Fritz. Know for a fact that he's in there.

- If you want to see UNT run the triple option, he's your guy.

- Maybe he can turn us into Army one day...

- Vote for him if you want to run more.

- He's blazing trails with this new offense called "the option". Wave of the future, I tell ya.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

That would be sweet. If this board had its way, evidently we would be running the triple option in football (Fritz) and we would be running the Princeton offense in basketball (Kaspar).

#hashbrownthinkofthepossibilities

Ha ha! So true! According to a handful of posters, Mac is the anti-Christ yet they loved him last year after the bowl game. The AD is a joke because they won't follow their advice on anything, the AD is bad because they won't invite them in for a session of grab ass, the Greek system is terrible because a few stay out on "The Hill," etc...

Is RV perfect? No. Does our AD do some bone headed things? Sure. Does Mac blow a lot of hot air when promoting the program? Sure, what good promoter doesn't? Is the school and the administration guilt free? Hell no. We have been so backward in ard fundraising that it is hurting everything from athletics to academic ratings. I just laugh at how a few are so pissed at the entire situation because the AD either won't acknowledge their ideas, won't invite them to the department picnic and who question the head coach that turned around a program that never won anything and has decades of experience at winning programs yet bristle at the slightest disagreement with their viewpoint.

Yes, this year sucked, but I would like to give Coach Mac a chance to correct these issues this year before calling for his head. RV has rested on his backside since the stadium was finished and I am afraid that he has lost his drive after reaching his main goal since arriving ar UNT. He needs to stop roaming the sidelines like Jerrah Jones and either continue pushing forward or step aside. The BOR needs to be held accountable by us, not only for the direction of the AD, but also by the inaction of our system Chancellor. Continually bitching on here is tiresome and achieves nothing.

As much as we bitch about scheduling and hires, as Lifer almost accidentally pointed out...RV did achieve his main goal, and has gotten spirit and fundraising up a WHOLE lot since he's arrived. Instead of calling for his head though, I'm more curious...if he really is just kind of wanting to chill now, why doesn't he just retire?

Ha ha! So true! According to a handful of posters, Mac is the anti-Christ yet they loved him last year after the bowl game. The AD is a joke because they won't follow their advice on anything, the AD is bad because they won't invite them in for a session of grab ass, the Greek system is terrible because a few stay out on "The Hill," etc...

Is RV perfect? No. Does our AD do some bone headed things? Sure. Does Mac blow a lot of hot air when promoting the program? Sure, what good promoter doesn't? Is the school and the administration guilt free? Hell no. We have been so backward in ard fundraising that it is hurting everything from athletics to academic ratings. I just laugh at how a few are so pissed at the entire situation because the AD either won't acknowledge their ideas, won't invite them to the department picnic and who question the head coach that turned around a program that never won anything and has decades of experience at winning programs yet bristle at the slightest disagreement with their viewpoint.

Yes, this year sucked, but I would like to give Coach Mac a chance to correct these issues this year before calling for his head. RV has rested on his backside since the stadium was finished and I am afraid that he has lost his drive after reaching his main goal since arriving ar UNT. He needs to stop roaming the sidelines like Jerrah Jones and either continue pushing forward or step aside. The BOR needs to be held accountable by us, not only for the direction of the AD, but also by the inaction of our system Chancellor. Continually bitching on here is tiresome and achieves nothing.

The AD is bad because of continually losing. In every program that matters. For years.

Continually losing begats continual bitching.

Except for you. Losing is ok with you. We get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As much as we bitch about scheduling and hires, as Lifer almost accidentally pointed out...RV did achieve his main goal, and has gotten spirit and fundraising up a WHOLE lot since he's arrived. Instead of calling for his head though, I'm more curious...if he really is just kind of wanting to chill now, why doesn't he just retire?

People rarely walk away from jobs where they make $350k a year and are not held accountable for their job performance.

Would you?

I guess it depends on what kind of retirement money is socked away. If I had enough for my family as well as how much it would cost to hang out in Tahiti or something for the rest of my life, then...yes.

- If you want to see UNT run the triple option, he's your guy.

- Maybe he can turn us into Army one day...

- Vote for him if you want to run more.

- He's blazing trails with this new offense called "the option". Wave of the future, I tell ya.

I think Navy is the one that runs the triple option.....and very well I might add.

If someone can come to NT and install this kind of "option" offense, then bring em' on. Georgia S. vs Georgia Tech.

I believe I saw a lot of passing by both "option" teams in this highlight utube.

Another thought. If we ran a Ga So, Ga Tech, Navy-like option offense. How many of those great QB athletes-who are not "classically" sized like the QB that used to play for DeSoto who went to TCU, might give NT more than a second thought. Because I have to believe that more often than not they would come to run a wide open option (like Ga Tech and Ga So) rather than be turned into WR/DB's at other schools.

Could we do any worse offensively than what we've been doing the last 10 years or so? Running the triple option gives us the advantage, because we would probably be the only one running it in CUSA. It's a complete different preparation for a defense.

Edited by SilverEagle

Wait, didn't somebody say they got turned down for a bowl? Didn't they also end up as the SBC champions? That really sucks, to come out with guns blazing and have what, a 9-win season and a conference championship and not be able to represent. Are they allowed to be conference champs, or is that also out because they're a move-up?

Wait, didn't somebody say they got turned down for a bowl? Didn't they also end up as the SBC champions? That really sucks, to come out with guns blazing and have what, a 9-win season and a conference championship and not be able to represent. Are they allowed to be conference champs, or is that also out because they're a move-up?

They are conference champs, but no bowl in their first season in FBS. They applied for a waiver and were denied.

They are conference champs, but no bowl in their first season in FBS. They applied for a waiver and were denied.

LAME! Seems like this is the exact type of situation that warrants even having waivers in the first place! 9-win conference champion isn't in trouble with the NCAA and can't represent in a bowl...again...LAME!

AState looked at Fritz twice but the difference in what he does offensively to what talent we had on hand was such we knew we would have a harder transition.

I don't know. I think any program, including GSU, should have had a hard transition period when instituting that offense. Amazing what good coaching can do.

But you guys obviously know what you are doing as witnessed by your recent coaching hires.

UNT on the other hand...

Edited by UNT90

I think Navy is the one that runs the triple option.....and very well I might add.

If someone can come to NT and install this kind of "option" offense, then bring em' on. Georgia S. vs Georgia Tech.

I believe I saw a lot of passing by both "option" teams in this highlight utube.

Another thought. If we ran a Ga So, Ga Tech, Navy-like option offense. How many of those great QB athletes-who are not "classically" sized like the QB that used to play for DeSoto who went to TCU, might give NT more than a second thought. Because I have to believe that more often than not they would come to run a wide open option (like Ga Tech and Ga So) rather than be turned into WR/DB's at other schools.

Could we do any worse offensively than what we've been doing the last 10 years or so? Running the triple option gives us the advantage, because we would probably be the only one running it in CUSA. It's a complete different preparation for a defense.

Geez, if those two teams ever play again and I can swing another trip to see family I may make it back to Atlanta to see that one.

And Georgia Tech beat Georgia with that offense last week, but dont get me started on Paul Johnson again. It's been 23 years and I was just starting to get over it.

Rick

• Downvote 1

I don't know. I think any program, including GSU, should have had a hard transition period when instituting that offense. Amazing what good coaching can do.

But you guys obviously know what you are doing as witnessed by your recent coaching hires.

UNT on the other hand...

We didn't have the offensive line capacity (coaching transitions destroyed us there, our lines are young with little depth) and we didn't have the size QB or RB needed.

Georgia Southern on the other hand was built for him because of their power built option attack.

LAME! Seems like this is the exact type of situation that warrants even having waivers in the first place! 9-win conference champion isn't in trouble with the NCAA and can't represent in a bowl...again...LAME!

Agreed. But the NCAA does not care about the move up since they are never in a P5 conference, and those are the only ones they care about.

For some more information, here is an interesting article about the whole thing (with an appearance by Wright Waters).

Edited by forevereagle

Agreed. But the NCAA does not care about the move up since they are never in a P5 conference, and those are the only ones they care about.

For some more information, here is an interesting article about the whole thing (with an appearance by Wright Waters).

Sometimes, I wonder why the G5 schools even want to be associated with the P5s that run that organization. Seriously, when they split off for good, as a UNT fan, I'm going to be thrilled to never have to play under their rules and be stuck under their thumbs anymore. Whether our dumbass administratoin at this school want to try and actually make winning a priority or just keep toeing the line of "offering" students the opportunity to watch NCAA sports at UNT is a whole other subject, but if they do decide to go about funding a winner and making it a top priority, we could do really well against the other G5 peers--like national champion-type success in the right playoff system.