Giving RV Credit where credit is due - Non revenue Sports

Harry

Beer sales at Apogee and Tailgating-two of the best game day changes that he should get credit for.

Average G5 attendance is 21K, so we're not there yet, but if we field an average or above average team-we at least hit average.

I have low expectations, but it's a whole lot better than when I attended in the 80's/90's.

C+

• Upvote 1

2001 to 2004 bowl run. It was well known during that time that RV wanted to fire DD in 2001 right before the bowl run. They barely spoke to one another during that era and Dickey was fired in 2005 the first year the team faltered. During that run our average attendance was (01) 14,769, (02) 15,260, (03) 18,694...aided by the previous years bowl win and a home game w/Baylor, (04) 15,184.

Winning football games is the coaches job. PROMOTING THE PROGRAM AND GETTING AS MANY PEOPLE INVOLVED, BOTH IN THE COMMUNITY AND THE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM, IS THE AD'S JOB.

When he was given the opportunity to hire his own football "guy" it was one of the worst hires in NT history.

The most recent hire is much better, but even with the great credibility of McCarney and the big bowl trip and win, we still are not significantly closer to regular sell-outs than we were in 2003. McCarney does his part, BUT PROMOTIONS ARE NOT HIS JOB! GETTING OUT INTO THE COMMUNITY (AND NT AREA) AND GETTING THE COMMUNITY/AREA TO EMBRACE NORTH TEXAS FOOTBALL IS NOT MCCARNEY'S JOB.

And as to facilities. The main practice facility and some of the Athletic center were finished because of a generous donation by Mattress Mac. And that was because Mac liked DD not RV. Only at North Texas could something that dysfunctional happen.

And finally,

The stadium (and other things since the stadium was built) was build because of an income stream (raising student service fees) that was brought about by the officers of the SGA. THEY organized the vote, and THEY did all the Q&A's at public meetings about the vote. A few years before, RV tried to get the students to vote to raise the fees....and failed miserably. And that was because he didn't have a clue about NT history and NT culture.

Good Post!

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would be happy if we could get a simple count of MGC members and season ticket holders. Sure, they might be embarrassingly low, but at least we could then continue to track them.

I guess if they were released, and were embarrassingly low, and then 14 or 15 years later they were... still embarrassingly low, people would be afraid of being held accountable.

The fact that those numbers are being kept confidential tells us a lot about the job being done under this AD's direction. Now, I would love to see BV get those numbers showing the percent of increase or decrease in season ticket sales under RV's tenure even if it requires filing the Freedom of Information Act. Of course, we all know it would cost BV his job. I'm I wrong here?

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2