UNT press conference notes

Harry

Dan McCarney’s weekly press conference turned out to be a little more spirited than usual today. McCarney threw out some pretty strong opinions on where the Mean Green stand and the difficulty of recruiting top players to UNT following a 56-21 loss to UAB.

UNT is now 2-4 and 0-2 in Conference USA play.

I will have to dig into some tape to pull out all the key notes, but the big news of the day is McCarney said that Dajon Williams and Andrew McNulty will compete for the starting quarterback job in practice this week.

“We are going to practice [Williams] and McNulty this week and let them go with the ones [first team]. Who practices the best will start Saturday. I will make a decision later in the week along with [offensive coordinator] Mike Canales.”

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/10/unt-press-conference-notes-2.html/

McCarney threw out some pretty strong opinions on where the Mean Green stand and the difficulty of recruiting top players to UNT following a 56-21 loss to UAB.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/10/unt-press-conference-notes-2.html/

Let me give him the benefit of the doubt here....Is he saying difficulty in recruiting in general or difficult recruiting because of a loss like that?

The latter I get.

The former......uh......what?

QB competition going into week 8!! Never thought I'd see that happen under DMac. This season has been a disaster, and most of it falls on QB development/juggling/indecision. 'Yes', this is a rebuilding year and 'No' we weren't likely to have a great year with the rest of the team going through issues as well. But the handling of the QBs has been flat out awful. Rather than just going through growing pains, we are still trying to develop a plan.

Anyone else having flashbacks to 2005? I know I am.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 7

I do wish he would stop patting himself on the back about last year. IMO, one season doesn't mean a program turnaround.

As far as the recruiting, I call bs: two coaches that started the same time in the Belt at ULL and Arkansas which were close to as bad as NT didn't seen to have a big recruiting problem.

I guess we will continue to hear about what a bad program NT was when he arrived as long as he is here. I guess UAB has lots of advantages.

I don't care how bad the program was, Mac took the job. I also don't care how many national champs he was part as an assistant coach. I used to enjoy his spirited interviews, but I am tired of the excuses. Yes, talking about the poor shape of the program; four years after you take over is not going to solve anything.

• Upvote 3

I see the quotes attached to the blog entry now, but none of the quotes have to do with what Mac said about the difficulty to recruit to UNT.

Come on, Vito. That is kinda THE most important quote in the story.

Could Mac be turning completely into the Buick? Could black Intramural unis be far behind?

We don't know until WE SEE THE FREAKING QUOTE.

• Upvote 2