Dodge Gets Enough Media Pressure?

GreenEggs&Ham™

Up here in Bowling Green, we have a local newspaper and local Bowling Green TV station so WKU gets a lot of local media attention.

I rather enjoy watching WKU's HC (Elson) squirm on the local sportscast (ABC WBKO) trying to explain the previous weeks loss etc.

I am wondering if Dodge doesn't have it made compared to Elson in the media pressure catagory. Don't get me wrong, I think that the DRC can exact a certain amount of pressure on Dodge, but it seems that the DFW media, including the TV media, largely ignores UNT football and lays off Dodge accordingly.

Meanwhile, WKU football, including interviews with Elson, appear nightly in Bowling Green and believe me the pressure is on him to win. WKU has a 1AA National title and their fans can be brutal and expect a winning program from Elson. There is even a "Fire Elson Now" website.

I think Saturday's game will be close as it is likely WKU's last opportunity to win a game this season and they can score. Too bad the game overlaps trick or treat time because this game will be televised in Bowling Green and I will miss most of it.

If UNT loses against WKU, there should be enormous pressure on Dodge's failures; but I wonder if there is any pressure on Dodge as there seems to me there is no outlet for it outside of the DRC and this board.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think that the main reason that Dodge gets little bad (especially TV) pressure is that he was the darling of the media for five years with his five state championships, 79-1 record and mythical national championship. They favored his hire and like RV, might look bad if they destroyed him now.

We should wait and see what happens after the season before we start a "Fire Dodge" campaign because there's still enough time to turn this around being as there are five games left. Three of the five could be winnable but he needs to beat WKU, FIU and Army for a four win season to save his job.

He may not face as long odds as Elson because he has upgraded talent and pushed the new stadium. I'm not sure that anyone could have done either as well. If he tried to do either now he would have far-less success.