We Are Stuck With Todd Dodge As Our Coach, Give It A Rest

UNT_playmaker

Rick Villareal our esteemed Athletic Director :rolleyes: ..... Gave Todd Dodge a four-year contract for the amount that he agreed upon, he is basically the lowest paid coach in D-I football right now... Drive 30 mins south on I-35 E or I-35W and see how much Jones and Patterson are being paid at their programs.

You get what you pay for, especially in college football. This is the result 4-27.

Our Athletic Director has no other choice but to face who he brought to run the program....Heck he even let him bring his entire HS staff with him...to join the party...all at NT's expense.

Personally, I think Dodge should stay for the rest of this season and next season, complete 360 from this time last year, but after thinking about it and seeing some progress in his third year here, and how we cant afford to buyout his contract or even hire anyone to replace him, let him stay. This program thinks small anyways so lets see how it works out after year four of the Todd Dodge Experiment.

A good proven coach brings results, and surrounds himself with people and coordinators who accomplish the same.

I dont believe that this program can hire or afford anyone better than a Buick or a Dodge, or a Ford (Todd).

So thats where this program is at...

Edited by UNT_playmaker

If this is how you feel, you might want to go back and fix the post you made just a few minutes ago. You know, the one that says the only reason R.V. would not fire Coach Dodge is because it would make him look bad.

The Athletic Director knows that this was solely his decision and he must stand by it, even though it is costing us millions of dollars and making us lose respectable talent, Because it will make him look bad that he fired his 4-time SBC Champion coach for what he has now.....

Well yeah it will make him look bad, I mean others said that on the board today as well, but we have a budget that also plays into and is looked at very close.

Five years you have go to be kidding me????

But if keeping Dodge as our coach is "costing us millions of dollars and making us lose respectable talent," the money it would take to buy out his contract and hire a new coach would just be a drop in the bucket.

Gave Todd Dodge a four-year contract for the amount that he agreed upon, he is basically the lowest paid coach in D-I football right now...

He's not even the lowest paid coach in the Sun Belt. In all of Div I-A, there about a dozen confirmed coaches being paid less.

...but after thinking about it and seeing some progress in his third year here, and how we cant afford to buyout his contract or even hire anyone to replace him, let him stay.

I dont believe that this program can hire or afford anyone better than a Buick or a Dodge, or a Ford (Todd).

We are about 22 months away from increasing our budget by $6 million. We CAN afford a better coach soon, but I agree that it may be best to ride out this contract, say our goodbyes, and hire the new coach when we have the money.

I guarantee that we are going to have a pretty darn good offense next year. But, I expected to have at least an average defense to go with it.

After the last 2 games, I am VERY concerned about our defense for the rest of this year and next.

I said all along that I would wait until TD has had a full 4 years before getting too upset about things. I still stand by that. However, my confidence is starting to wane.

Looking through the contract, there is a "Just Cause" clause that allows the President to terminate Dodge's contract and UNT will not be liable for any compensation. The definitions of "just cause" are serious ethical violations, but the last one in interesting:

"refusal by Coach Dodge to accept reassignment to another position as contemplated by this agreement."

If fired without cause, UNT pays him his base salary on a monthly basis.

In the GMG podcast, RV stated that he wanted more wins, but he wanted more than anything to be competitive in the games we were supposed to be. Getting blown out every game is not acceptable. We've been competitive. Dodge will be here next year, I believe. And he needs to win at least half his games to hang on to his job. I wasn't necessarily giddy about him getting the job, and he has made some mistakes along the way, the biggest was bringing his HS coaches with him, but a coach gets 4 years to build a program.

In the GMG podcast, RV stated that he wanted more wins, but he wanted more than anything to be competitive in the games we were supposed to be. Getting blown out every game is not acceptable. We've been competitive. Dodge will be here next year, I believe. And he needs to win at least half his games to hang on to his job. I wasn't necessarily giddy about him getting the job, and he has made some mistakes along the way, the biggest was bringing his HS coaches with him, but a coach gets 4 years to build a program.

Yep. Next year is a no excuses year. I think even the most patient of us will agree to that.

Rick Villareal our esteemed Athletic Director :rolleyes: ..... Gave Todd Dodge a four-year contract for the amount that he agreed upon, he is basically the lowest paid coach in D-I football right now... Drive 30 mins south on I-35 E or I-35W and see how much Jones and Patterson are being paid at their programs.

You get what you pay for, especially in college football. This is the result 4-27.

Our Athletic Director has no other choice but to face who he brought to run the program....Heck he even let him bring his entire HS staff with him...to join the party...all at NT's expense.

Personally, I think Dodge should stay for the rest of this season and next season, complete 360 from this time last year, but after thinking about it and seeing some progress in his third year here, and how we cant afford to buyout his contract or even hire anyone to replace him, let him stay. This program thinks small anyways so lets see how it works out after year four of the Todd Dodge Experiment.

A good proven coach brings results, and surrounds himself with people and coordinators who accomplish the same.

So thats where this program is at...

I'd check that 360 comment too...I'm pretty sure you meant a 180...unless you felt this way last year too?

Looking through the contract, there is a "Just Cause" clause that allows the President to terminate Dodge's contract and UNT will not be liable for any compensation. The definitions of "just cause" are serious ethical violations, but the last one in interesting:

"refusal by Coach Dodge to accept reassignment to another position as contemplated by this agreement."

If fired without cause, UNT pays him his base salary on a monthly basis.

You have to love that the administration gave themselves an out. I wouldn't mind keeping Dodge as an OC, however he would be quite an expensive one in the Sun Belt. Any idea if they could reduce pay if they reassign him?

But if keeping Dodge as our coach is "costing us millions of dollars and making us lose respectable talent," the money it would take to buy out his contract and hire a new coach would just be a drop in the bucket.

explain how NT, under Coach Dodge, is losing respectable talent. Appears to me, and others, the talent level is increasing. What previous NT coach in the last 40 years has gotten this much talent?......how do you come up with Coach Dodge costing us........ millions...... of dollars?