Wr Out Of Bounds?

Guest JohnDenver

Guest JohnDenver

My cable carrier doesn't have ESPNU-HD. I know, OK is behind times, obviously.

The long pass to the BSU WR, was he out of bounds before the ball was thrown? Both officials tossed their caps. In my pixelated SD, it looked like he ran out of bounds.

Instead it was a completion at the 5. Bad call? Or victim of living life in standard definition?

My cable carrier doesn't have ESPNU-HD. I know, OK is behind times, obviously.

The long pass to the BSU WR, was he out of bounds before the ball was thrown? Both officials tossed their caps. In my pixelated SD, it looked like he ran out of bounds.

Instead it was a completion at the 5. Bad call? Or victim of living life in standard definition?

Yes

Went out, wasn't pushed, which is why they dropped hat to begin with. Life on the road. Kinda insulting though to go to replay and try to say that what everyone saw wasn't what everyone saw (in HD, no less). Also didn't like the Referee forcing the Umpire to pick up his flag after he correctly caught an ineligible (#74) downfield. Irks me to no end to see people like that in the profession, but unfortunately there are a few (thankfully very few).

Guest JohnDenver

I keep watching over and over and just cant see where Tobe held the QB.

I think it was the hand on the back. I believe you are legal to hold in front, between the shoulder pads. I thought it was ticky tack too.

I thought the holding call was correct.

The long pass play I am iffy on but understand the call. I think the ruling was while the players were running/jostling down the sideline the WR was forced out by the DB. That being the case he is allowed to return to the field and be first to touch the ball legally.

The WR out of bounds was a bad call, there were a few other calls that sucked, it seemed that we were lucky to get anything called our way. I think we not only beat Ball St. but we beat the refs too. And you know what, it doesn't matter because WE WON!!!!

btw, perhaps the oob wr non call was a make up call for the ref getting in the way of the wr the play before.... now that was funny!

I thought the holding call on Tobe was a good call. It probably would have been let go if he had not pulled down the QB - even though the QB made it look like he just had his spine ripped out.

The WR out of bounds call confused me as well. The ref threw the hat meaning he had the guy out of bounds. He then watches the same guy catch the ball - so he should have thrown the flag THEN consult if the WR was pushed. That whole sequence was a car wreck for the refs.

Regarding Tobe's hold--I thought it was a good call. On a runback behind the play, you are never going to get that call. Never. To me, it looked obvious that he pulled the guy down. Bottom line is--Tobe knows better, and it was unnecessary.

It was a good call and a stupid play. If you're a LB and the only guy in front of you is the QB- you run him over. Why hold him at all? But I'm not gonna whine about it.

It was a good call and a stupid play. If you're a LB and the only guy in front of you is the QB- you run him over. Why hold him at all? But I'm not gonna whine about it.

The QB was such a non-factor, Tobe shoulda just screened him with his body and never touched him. No way the QB makes the play. Refs are always going to make calls to protect the QB. Thats just life in football.

No one questioned whether he went out-of-bounds.

The sole matter of the ruling was whether contact caused him to go out. The official on the play said he was forced out because he ruled it complete (The hat coming off merely recognizes he went out). That placed the burden on the replay official to see evidence that he cleary WAS NOT out-of-bounds due to contact. If all they had was the ESPN video, then they lacked the evidence to overturn the call, if the official on the ground had called it the other way, that video would not have overturned an incomplete call either.