"Keep Choppin" vs "No One Here Believes In You"

FirefightnRick

I just heard Rutgers coach Shiano tell "Quite Frankly" host Steven A. Smith about what his motto "Keep Choppin" is all about. He said it was something that they simply came up with two years ago, that it means it's just like when your chopping down a tree. "You stay focused on what your doing, keep hitting it in the same place and the tree will fall". He said it's just a little thing they do to "Keep their kids focused".

Now compare that to our motto.

As many know I have not tolerated DD's focus tactic the past 6 years at all. That of "No one here believes in you,...Your all alone here at North Texas,...Put your back against the wall and win for yourself because there is no one else here for you,....Everyone here has turned their back on you,..North Texas is the worst place I have ever seen in my 20 some odd years of coaching that breeds dissention...etc etc..etc.". Many know that because I have complained about it, out of complete amazement I suppose, that the coaches have approached me twice to explain to me that this was how they keep their kids focused. In response I simply stated that, "I have no problem with it, if it works for you but why not keep something so negative in the lockerroom instead of telling it to the world?"

I have alway's appreciated Coach DD in that he's always allowed his program to be approachable by the fans and this was one area I took advantage of. I had always wanted to see DD and his staff succeed and take us to that next level and because of that I thought I was helping by pointing out to them how extremely negative this message was. Maybe "begging" is a better word here, but it fell upon deaf ears year after year. And it pissed me off even more every damn time I heard or read it........year after year.

I just don't understand and I suppose I never will. There are some very good men on this staff. They are not all like RF and as many here on this board of MFer's have also done, I would do all I could do to help them in their cause. Be it giving all I can, cooking for the coaches and team, traveling across the country to root them on, whatever. I was part of the 50 some odd crazies who camped out under the stars so that the team would have a show of support when their bus arrived back from Idaho at 5 a.m. after winning our first SBC championship and that first trip to the N.O. Bowl game back in '01. I am a part of some extremely great fans who drank the Kool Aid and believed in the Mean Green and followed the team from Murfreesborro to Las Cruces. Only to end up year after year as one of the 500 faithful who paid $35 a plate at the post season football banquets so we could be scolded like children because we some how "GAVE UP ON THE MEAN GREEN!" as our head coach would tell us.

How do you build a program like this? How does this help convince the average fan to invest here? How does this message help you keep the support required to ride the tough times of the cycle of winning and losing trends in college football?

It baffles me to this day as I have never heard of a college coach speak this way to his fanbase, alumni and his team?

I wish the guys on this staff all the best. I will miss Kenny Evans probably the most. Few here will ever know what kind of a great quality guy he's been all these years. Few may remember this but three years ago he turned down the LB job at Oklahoma State to stay here and continue to try and get us to the next level and I'll never forget the contributions he's made here. I'll miss Mike Bugar and the toughness he demanded from his D linemen. I'll miss Chris Seroka who was always a class act and had nice things to say whenever anyone would approach him. I'm not sure if he will be a part of the dismissal but if so I'll miss Mike Gallup who has been a huge friend to us here at GMG.com and always a help whenever I needed answers concerning Mean Green Gear during the GreenStock days. And I'll miss one of our very own, Mike Berrella if he's part of the dismissal. Mike is one of the reasons we the Mean Green Nation have always been allowed to "be a part" during the offseasons helping us schedule fundraising drives and cooking lunches for the team.

And finally I wish DD and family all the best. I'll miss seeing them at the events and talking Mean Green football. Tory "Mamma Dickey" as she's known by the team, has to be one of the strongest women alive as I imagine most coaches' wives are. The Dickey's are a close family and you can tell when you talk to them. But even with that I have often wondered why it is that in so many, many times before no one ever yanked Darrell aside and pointed out to him how very negative and damning some of his public statements were. I'll just never understand where he saw that would help him grow his program here? Hopefully with a new outlook on his health, and a new outlook on life, he will think twice at his next job before going about keeping his team "focused" in this way?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I just heard Rutgers coach Shiano tell "Quite Frankly" host  Steven A. Smith about what his motto "Keep Choppin" is all about.  He said it was something that they simply came up with two years ago, that it means it's just like when your chopping down a tree.  "You stay focused on what your doing, keep hitting it in the same place and the tree will fall".  He said it's just a little thing they do to "Keep their kids focused".

Now compare that to our motto.

As many know I have not tolerated DD's focus tactic the past 6 years at all.  That of "No one here believes in you,...Your all alone here at North Texas,...Put your back against the wall and win for yourself because there is no one else here for you,....Everyone here has turned their back on you,..North Texas is the worst place I have ever seen in my 20 some odd years of coaching that breeds dissention...etc etc..etc.".    Many know that because I have complained about it, out of complete amazement I suppose, that the coaches have approached me twice to explain to me that this was how they keep their kids focused.  In response I simply stated that, "I have no problem with it, if it works for you but why not keep something so negative in the lockerroom instead of telling it to the world?"

I have alway's appreciated Coach DD in that he's always allowed his program to be approachable by the fans and this was one area I took advantage of.  I had always wanted to see DD and his staff succeed and take us to that next level and because of that I thought I was helping by pointing out to them how extremely negative this message was.  Maybe "begging" is a better word here, but it fell upon deaf ears year after year.  And it pissed me off even more every damn time I heard or read it........year after year.   

I just don't understand and I suppose I never will.  There are some very good men on this staff.  They are not all like RF and as many here on this board of MFer's have also done, I would do all I could do to help them in their cause.  Be it giving all I can, cooking for the coaches and team, traveling across the country to root them on, whatever.  I was part of the 50 some odd crazies who camped out under the stars so that the team would have a show of support when their bus arrived back from Idaho at 5 a.m. after winning our first SBC championship and that first trip to the N.O. Bowl game back in '01.  I am a part of some extremely great fans who drank the Kool Aid and believed in the Mean Green and followed the team from Murfreesborro to Las Cruces.  Only to end up  year after year as one of the 500 faithful who paid $35 a plate at the post season football banquets so we could be scolded like children because we some how "GAVE UP ON THE MEAN GREEN!" as our head coach would tell us.

How do you build a program like this?  How does this help convince the average fan to invest here?  How does this message help you keep the support required to ride the tough times of the cycle of winning and losing trends in college football?

It baffles me to this day as I have never heard of a college coach speak this way to his fanbase, alumni and his team?

I wish the guys on this staff all the best.  I will miss Kenny Evans probably the most.  Few here will ever know what kind of a great quality guy he's been all these years.  Few may remember this but three years ago he turned down the LB job at Oklahoma State to stay here and continue to try and get us to the next level and I'll never forget the contributions he's made here.  I'll miss Mike Bugar and the toughness he demanded from his D linemen.  I'll miss Chris Seroka who was always a class act and had nice things to say whenever anyone would approach him.  I'm not sure if he will be a part of the dismissal but if so I'll miss Mike Gallup who has been a huge friend to us here at GMG.com and always a help whenever I needed answers concerning Mean Green Gear during the GreenStock days.  And I'll miss one of our very own, Mike Berrella if he's part of the dismissal.  Mike is one of the reasons we the Mean Green Nation have always been allowed to "be a part" during the offseasons helping us schedule fundraising drives and cooking lunches for the team. 

And finally I wish DD and family all the best.  I'll miss seeing them at the events and talking Mean Green football.  Tory "Mamma Dickey" as she's known by the team, has to be one of the strongest women alive as I imagine most coaches' wives are.  The Dickey's are a close family and you can tell when you talk to them.  But even with that I have often wondered why it is that in so many, many times before no one ever yanked Darrell aside and pointed out to him how very negative and damning some of his public statements were.  I'll just never understand where he saw that would help him grow his program here?  Hopefully with a new outlook on his health, and a new outlook on life, he will think twice at his next job before going about keeping his team "focused" in this way?

Rick

Rick, you have posted an accurate account of why Coach Dickey has been shown the door, and probably most of his staff. I hope he finds a more positive approach to coaching in his next job. He is a good man, with a great wife and daughter. I wish the best for him, health, happiness and renewal. Great post, Rick.

-Rick Spears (aka Green Grenade II).

Guest GrayEagleOne

Rick, you have posted an accurate account of why Coach Dickey has been shown the door, and probably most of his staff. I hope he finds a more positive approach to coaching in his next job. He is a good man, with a great wife and daughter. I wish the best for him, health, happiness and renewal. Great post, Rick.

-Rick Spears (aka Green Grenade II).

Both Ricks have made great posts and I whole heartedly agree with them.

I don't tknow the coaching staff that well but I will echo what Rick M. said about Kenny Evans. Truly, an honest, open person whom I'll miss.

While I think that Darrell is a good man with a wonderful wife and daughter, I, too was turned off by his remarks and quit trying to get close to the team as I've often done in the past. I hope that he lands at a place where he wants to be and will have a long, happy life.

The title of this thread (the Keep chopping part) puts me in mind of something.

I have always sought a definitive interpretation of UNT's latin motto....Eundo Crescit. I was once told by a professor in the education dept. that our motto "Eundo Crescit" translates into todays vernacular as "Keep on Keep'in on".

I have looked on the University's official web-site and cannot find ANY reference to our Latin Motto and what it "officially" means. (Isn't that typical of our University).

Could someone please....

...correct my spelling of the latin phrase if it's incorrect

....give the english interpretation of the University latin phrase/motto

Cerebus?

The title of this thread (the Keep chopping part) puts me in mind of something.

I have always sought a definitive interpretation of UNT's latin motto....Eundo Crescit. I was once told by a professor in the education dept. that our motto "Eundo Crescit" translates into todays vernacular as  "Keep on Keep'in on".

I have looked on the University's official web-site and cannot find ANY reference to our Latin Motto and what it "officially" means. (Isn't that typical of our University).

Could someone please....

...correct my spelling of the latin phrase if it's incorrect

....give the english interpretation of the University latin phrase/motto

Cerebus?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Great Seal of New Mexico with the motto "crescit eundo.""Crescit eundo" is the State Motto of the U.S. State of New Mexico. It is Latin in origin and can be translated to "It grows as it goes" or "Increases as it goes", though the former is the official translation for the motto.

[edit] History

The motto was first used in 1882, when acting Territorial Secretary, William G. Ritch, added the Latin phrase "Crescit eundo" to an early 1860's version of the territorial seal. In 1887, Ritch's version of the seal, including the words "Crescit eundo," was adopted by the legislature as part of the official New Mexico Territory seal and coat of arms. When New Mexico became a state in 1912, the Legislature appointed a commission to settle on a design for an official "state" seal. As it turned out, the commission recommended the territorial seal to be continued as the state seal, including the words "Crescit eundo" which were then adopted as the official state motto.

[edit] Contextual translation

The motto has been criticized for being irrelevant as many fail to understand it because it has no applicable meaning. However, it is actually a quotation from the first-century B.C. Latin poet Lucretius in his epic poem De Rerum Natura (On The Nature of Things) book VI. In context it refers to the motion of a thunderbolt across the sky, which acquires power and momentum as it goes. Once one realizes that the motto is comparing the state of New Mexico to a mighty thunderbolt flashing across the sky, it gives a whole new meaning to the expression.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescit_eundo"