If Deloach Was The Hc/dc

Would everyone be calling for Deloach to be fired right now? Keep in mind that Deloach's unit is much worse than Dodge's while Deloach is a "legit college coach" and Dodge is "just a high school coach".

Or do most people have a blatant double standard?

Yes and Yes.

Would everyone be calling for Deloach to be fired right now? Keep in mind that Deloach's unit is much worse than Dodge's while Deloach is a "legit college coach" and Dodge is "just a high school coach".

Why not compare apples to apples???? Deloach was ridiculously more qualified to be the HC here than Dodge 3 years ago and STILL is. Now, with that said.....

Yes if he were in the EXACT same spot. I highly doubt Deloach would have this bad a start had he been the HC from day 1. Dodge's admitted 2 year learning curve early on really threw the program into an abyss.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

I would accept these results more easily because I doubt he would do the boneheaded/stubborn things that Dodge does. I think that's what people like Kram don't get...many of us don't want Dodge gone merely for his record, we want him gone because his inability/refusal to adapt and do SIMPLE things has led to his poor record.

I would accept these results more easily because I doubt he would do the boneheaded/stubborn things that Dodge does. I think that's what people like Kram don't get...many of us don't want Dodge gone merely for his record, we want him gone because his inability/refusal to adapt and do SIMPLE things has led to his poor record.

If you say something enough times, it becomes truth, eh?

Year 1 - Defense atrocious.

Before year 2 - DC gone, replaced by a qualified coach that was obviously recommended to him by those having more longterm familiarity with the NT program.

Year 1, early year 2 - A couple problems - short running game, QB left exposed - exacerbated by having no TE.

Sometime year 2 (?) - TE added. Before year 3 - TE role expanded.

Year 2 - Problems making short yardage, part of the problem attributed to having no plays from behind center.

Before year 3 - Plays from behind center are put in the playbook.

Year 2 - Special teams atrocious.

Before year 3 - Special teams coach gone, replaced with one of the better coaches on staff.

- Green light given to use the best players on special teams.

Year 2 - Defensive line porous.

Before year 3 - DL coach gone, good hire made as replacement.

- Recruiting immediate JUCO help at DL made a priority.

Sure, some things have remained the same. He's still running a spread offense and a 4-3 defense (although Kylie Hill's position is kind of a hybrid). And unfortunately, we're still losing. But to say he is incapable of making changes, or that he refuses to do so, is either uninformed or dishonest.

If you say something enough times, it becomes truth, eh?

Year 1 - Defense atrocious.

Before year 2 - DC gone, replaced by a qualified coach that was obviously recommended to him by those having more longterm familiarity with the NT program.

Year 1, early year 2 - A couple problems - short running game, QB left exposed - exacerbated by having no TE.

Sometime year 2 (?) - TE added. Before year 3 - TE role expanded.

Year 2 - Problems making short yardage, part of the problem attributed to having no plays from behind center.

Before year 3 - Plays from behind center are put in the playbook.

Year 2 - Special teams atrocious.

Before year 3 - Special teams coach gone, replaced with one of the better coaches on staff.

- Green light given to use the best players on special teams.

Year 2 - Defensive line porous.

Before year 3 - DL coach gone, good hire made as replacement.

- Recruiting immediate JUCO help at DL made a priority.

Sure, some things have remained the same. He's still running a spread offense and a 4-3 defense (although Kylie Hill's position is kind of a hybrid). And unfortunately, we're still losing. But to say he is incapable of making changes, or that he refuses to do so, is either uninformed or dishonest.

You can add...

After Year 2 - Defensive coordinator finally starts recruiting

So would you fire DeLoach at this point? And if so, I guess that means you would have fired Dodge last year?

I still speculate that the DL is behind a year because for whatever reason it was not addressed in early recruiting.

I am hoping next year it turns the corner much like we have started to see this year on the OL.

We can all continue to whine about how Dodge approaches short yardage situations (and how it could be improved), but we are already running the ball very well and scoring plenty of points to win.

I still speculate that the DL is behind a year because for whatever reason it was not addressed in early recruiting.

I am hoping next year it turns the corner much like we have started to see this year on the OL.

We can all continue to whine about how Dodge approaches short yardage situations (and how it could be improved), but we are already running the ball very well and scoring plenty of points to win.

You know whats sad? After three years thats the only position group on the entire team this can be said for.

QB-lots of unproven potential.

RB-Dunbar is a beast and Cam is graduating.

WR-see QB

TE-haha

FB-see TE

DL-unable to provide backfield pressure...... ever

LB-maybe some potential 100% unproven. Whats there couldn't tackle your mom.

DB-see qb

Not surprisingly some still don't get it.

Yes, Dodge has made a few changes. He added a tight end. Yippee...does he throw to them, actually making opposing DC's respect them? We now go under center at times. Hooray...do we go under center durn it is 3rd or 4th and 1? Actually we did once, in a I-formation no less and rsn a naked bootleg! We run a no huddle spread offense. Interestingly enough we still run the play clock down on every play...sometimes needing to call timeout because still can't get the play off. Ask MTSU how easily you can march downfield with a true no huddle.

Look, you can lay a heap of blame at Deloach's feet. Let's not pretend that Todge has made great strides in even the common sense department though.

Just to make sure I wasn't being "uninformed or dishonest" I researched how many balls have been thrown to TE's in their "expanded" role and, much to my surprise the answer was ZERO. Not surprising given that this position that we have now placed such a premium on has ONE player listed as such on the official roster. Great strides indeed.

Or perhaps I'm just repeating these elementary football coaching ideas until they become fact.

DeLoach has only been here 1 1/2 years........................

some of it could be talent, youth or whatever you want to contribute it to......yall complained the last two years of how NT got beat by the long ball......give the man a break.

and......the defense has improved.

Edited by eulesseagle

offensively....................more points on the board with a RS frosh & Jr. QB.

defensively..................fewer points on the opponent's board.

special teams..............much improved.

TD..............................2 1/2 years at NT

GD.............................1 1/2 years at NT

some say we are getting worse......some say no improvement........???????

i say get your butts in the seats and see for yourselves......no excuses.

if you want to give up your beer money for your athletic donation......so what.

offensively....................more points on the board with a RS frosh & Jr. QB.

defensively..................fewer points on the opponent's board.

special teams..............much improved.

TD..............................2 1/2 years at NT

GD.............................1 1/2 years at NT

some say we are getting worse......some say no improvement........???????

i say get your butts in the seats and see for yourselves......no excuses.

if you want to give up your beer money for your athletic donation......so what.

In addition, we are still paying dearly for Dodge's inability/refusal to recruit legitimate defensive talent his first two years and wasting scholarships on mediocre receivers and other marginal recruits. I'm sorry, but the buck stops with the head coach. I will be more than happy to support TD if he produces, but time is running short by any Division 1 standards.

#1 You have absolutely NO CLUE what people get and "don't get"

#2 Who named you the "knower" of all things coaching-wise at UNT?

#3 Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's here on this site

Try to relax a little and have some fun. Your routine is getting old just like your avatar.....At least I know deep down you really do like the Mean Green...you just have some sort of strange man crush on TD...admit it! :lol:

Yes, Dodge has made a few changes. He added a tight end. Yippee...does he throw to them, actually making opposing DC's respect them? We now go under center at times. Hooray...do we go under center durn it is 3rd or 4th and 1? Actually we did once, in a I-formation no less and rsn a naked bootleg! We run a no huddle spread offense. Interestingly enough we still run the play clock down on every play...sometimes needing to call timeout because still can't get the play off. Ask MTSU how easily you can march downfield with a true no huddle.

Look, you can lay a heap of blame at Deloach's feet. Let's not pretend that Todge has made great strides in even the common sense department though.

does he throw to them

Ummm last time I checked he was our coach not our QB so no he will never throw it to the TE

AGAIN I point out this is a TEAM sport and if you it is not I need to see some arguments to the contrary-In other words why exactly is this Coach Dodge's fault only?

does he throw to them

Ummm last time I checked he was our coach not our QB so no he will never throw it to the TE

AGAIN I point out this is a TEAM sport and if you it is not I need to see some arguments to the contrary-In other words why exactly is this Coach Dodge's fault only?

when you call plays to have the TE be a blocker, there is not much chance to throw them the ball.

Yea.... the defense is improving. BUT not at a rate you'd attribute to coaching. The minuscule strides the defense has made this year look like the effects of players maturing. Nothing more.

C'mon, we're up from that 119 area to the 111-117 range. Thank jeebus we only had one real body bag game this year.

Just to make sure I wasn't being "uninformed or dishonest" I researched how many balls have been thrown to TE's in their "expanded" role and, much to my surprise the answer was ZERO. Not surprising given that this position that we have now placed such a premium on has ONE player listed as such on the official roster. Great strides indeed.

Or perhaps I'm just repeating these elementary football coaching ideas until they become fact.

Maybe you need to re-read your previous post. You had cited Coach Dodge's "inability/refusal to adapt and do SIMPLE things." I had already mentioned that he had not changed everything--he was not hired to bring in the triple option, he was hired to bring in his offense. I never claimed he had made "great strides" in his evolution as a coach. But it's pretty clear from the examples I gave, and probably from others of which I did not think or am not aware, that he is both capable of and willing to make changes that he thinks will help.