This Is Not To Talk About A Coaching Change

eulessismore

I've been thinking, and actually studying on this for a while: Although I and others, such as Adler and GrayEagleOne have mentioned this in passing, I think that the need for someone whose sole responsibility in practices and games is coaching special teams deserves it's own thread. I have my own thoughts about our current coaching staff, but see a downside in discussing the potential for someone on the current staff to be leaving. Recruits and their parents do not like uncertainty of a coaches employment status as National Signing Day approaches, and the departure of a coach who has recruited a player may lead potential recruits to look at other options. However, since we do not have a coach who has special teams as his sole responsibility, I see no harm in suggesting that one be hired. I felt added urgency in bringing this up due to the following article in today's Dallas Morning News:

DMN on SMU's Frank Gansz

Yes, I'm saying that SMU has done something that UNT needs to do; hire that special teams coach! Before you accuse me of heresy for respecting something they have done, please read enough of the story to note how they've scored 5 touchdowns off special teams turnovers this year, and tell me how many we have on the season. Please comment as to whether this is any more or less likely a scenario than any other coaching improvements that have been suggested on the board, or suggest your favorite candidate(s). Mostly, I've been looking at guys coaching at the FCS level, since FBS would be the logical next step up for them, and I think we could be seen as providing an opportunity to coach at the next level. Here are a few I think would be worth considering:

Terrol Dillon LB/Special Teams Coach Texas State

If (and I'd prefer he didn't) this young guy were to continue coaching a position as well as special teams as North Texas, he could coach linebackers, either letting Deloach concentrate solely on DC, or letting him assist with the secondary, where he's done quite well before. And yes, our secondary needs help.

Johnny Nagle, Asst. HC/Secondary/NCAA Compliance/Special Teams, Northwestern State

We might be able to hire this guy just by telling him we'd shorten his job description. I'd have to consider it a long shot him leaving Northwestern after 20 years there and being Asst HC, but he spent 3 years at Texas State, maybe he needs more years to get vested in the Texas Teachers Pension Fund. His credentials and accomplishments seem impressive.

Central Arkansas LB/Co-coordinator Special Teams

Has coached a 1-AA all-american punt returner, now returning punts for Edmonton of the CFL. Coached a 1-AA all-american defensive defensive linemen, he and another UCA D-lineman went to the NFL.

Delaware State LB/Special Teams Coordinator

He was a big time linebacker during Arizona's most successful season in recent years. has coached linebackers who went on to the NFL; has success with a variety of special teams unit, and sounds like a confident, inspirational leader.

Weber State Special Teams Coordinator/Cornerbacks

One of his ST players, a return man, led the FCS last year in all purpose yardage; other special teams units have done well. Also, Weber's secondary has led the Big Sky in pass defense under him.

If TD won't get fired then my stance is fire everybody and just leave TD and Deloach on the staff. Everybody needs to go. Deloach needs to pick his defensive coaches and TD can pick EXPERIENCED college coaches.

We must keep Leftwich.

bring back Eric Russell..... he is one of the best special teams coaches in the country

Eric Russell

Good find, GreenTeam, and, if we get some tight ends, he also coaches those (don't guess we have a tight ends coach now). Hey, tonight, I was thinking at some point that special teams was doing better. In some ways the return game doesn't seem so chaotic, but our punt and kickoff coverage units need some coaching help from someone who has done that at the D1 college level.