THE STAND

Christopher Walker

Red October?

Ooh. Yes. One of my favorite movie adaptations ever.

Plus, it adds to my running Tom Clancy-Skladany mythos.

3nzKSaY.jpg

Oooh, man.... hold on.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I was unable to watch the game and have only seen the highlights on MGSports...can someone give me a bit of context as to why Rice had so many downs within ten yards of the end zone? I'm assuming they went for it on 4th down and there was a defensive penalty? Legit call?

There was a 4th down penalty. You are correct. The call was made in the end zone against Whitfield. Could have gone either way I thought.

There was a 4th down penalty. You are correct. The call was made in the end zone against Whitfield. Could have gone either way I thought.

It was a defensive holding call. IIRC, it resulted in the ball being on the 3 due to a half the distance penalty (from the 6).

If it would have been pass interference, I think it would have gone on the 1. At the time, I thought it might be a significant difference. Turns out that it was.

• Upvote 1

And from the sound of things in that thread, we're not the only ones recently to do this let alone against Rice. I won't disgrace the glory in this thread with the actual video, but the vicious Fightin' Will Muschamps did it five years ago with 11 plays.

Somehow not nearly as exciting. Also, that 8th play technically wasn't a play since it never really happened. Of course that's the play Rice scored but it's called back due to a phantom false start penalty. I didn't see anyone move. Texas may have gotten a big gift from the refs on that one. Why is that not surprising?

I hope the promo guys plan on doing something for the Stand Saturday. Maybe the first time UTEP gets a 1st and goal do a highlight video of the Stand. Regardless, I'm actually excited to see how the crowd reacts the first time there is a goal line situation in this game (assuming there is one). Hopefully everyone goes extra crazy for the first goal line stand.

I hope the promo guys plan on doing something for the Stand Saturday. Maybe the first time UTEP gets a 1st and goal do a highlight video of the Stand. Regardless, I'm actually excited to see how the crowd reacts the first time there is a goal line situation in this game (assuming there is one). Hopefully everyone goes extra crazy for the first goal line stand.

I'm hoping that schools don't even get a chance at the goal line from here on out

Someone with computer artistic talent needs to make a poster with the Mean Green defense in front of the west endzone and big letters across the top "THE STAND"

I'm just the idea man. The artests can make that idea come to life.

• Upvote 1

When talking about the 8 play defensive goal line stand, "THE STAND" was referenced on this week's Beyond the Green. GoMeanGreen.com influencing things again?

Also, this thread should be GMG.com HOF first ballot.

And pinned for the rest of the recruiting season.

There was a guy sitting on the front row of section 106 today. He had on a green T-shirt. On the back it read THE STAND with the date of the Rice game underneath. I never saw it from the front. I want one.

And where were you sitting?