Looking Ahead: Georgia vs. North Texas, Never

ADLER

Heads-up Alert! An Actual Color Photo of Mean Joe Greene While He Played Football At North Texas !

Many of us on this forum have seen almost every publication or photo concerning Mean Green football during or post-Joe Greene era at North Texas but for the life of me, I have NEVER seen that color photo of Joe Greene found in the content of Harry's link in any past North Texas Mean Green football media guide or publication since I started checking those out circa 1973; instead, we always had the old standard black & white file photo of Mean Joe with hands outwardly extended.

Any of you other older alums agree with this "color pic" discovery or have I just missed seeing it thru the decades? ? ? ?

GMG!

It's from the Playboy 1968 All America Team photo.

_68_Playboy_All-America_defensive_team__5__large.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Heads-up Alert! An Actual Color Photo of Mean Joe Greene While He Played Football At North Texas !

Many of us on this forum have seen almost every publication or photo concerning Mean Green football during or post-Joe Greene era at North Texas but for the life of me, I have NEVER seen that color photo of Joe Greene found in the content of Harry's link in any past North Texas Mean Green football media guide or publication since I started checking those out circa 1973; instead, we always had the old standard black & white file photo of Mean Joe with hands outwardly extended.

Any of you other older alums agree with this "color pic" discovery or have I just missed seeing it thru the decades? ? ? ?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I suppose it's just the battered North Texas fan in me... But reading that article all I could think about is how generic you have to get when you're set on writing a non negative piece about UNT football.

Generic, Perhaps, but it is still a nice article with a few facts even some of our alumni and certainly some of our current students don't know. Incidentally, that picture of Joe Greene is from the All American issue of PLAYBOY In 67 o(68, I think.} I may still have that old issue somewhere.

GMG!

_68_Playboy_All-America_defensive_team__

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 2

My wife and most of her family are UGA grads and the bro-in-law is a long-time season ticket holder. There is not much I would not offer the Football Gods for a Mean Green victory. We ordered our tickets to the game today.

• Upvote 1

_68_Playboy_All-America_defensive_team__

This post has been promoted to an article

Hint to all UNT campus-based publications who cannot find a single color pic of Mean Joe Greene in your vintage files in Denton well then do this..................crop this Playboy AA pic of Joe and there you go by-George.........I think you got it!

HUH? Another idea coming from GMG.com that will be totally ignored? WHO SAID DAT?!?!?!? :(

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If you do a Google search on Joe Greene "North Texas", that's one of the first photos to come up.

Of course, during all those decades that color pic of Joe was available, it was never used in any future media guides and especially during the Fred Graham era as UNT's sports information director. (I think they could have cropped that pic of Joe even back then to separate him from the other players in that picture).

No big deal on this pic thing, just funny to me with how it has shown up now on Harry's link and only because it was in a Playboy College Football All American issue back in 1969.

Heck, we didn't have Playboy magazines at Griffins General Store back in my hometown. And if we would have and if you had purchased a copy of Playboy back then, everyone In town would know about it before the next Sunday sermon. LOL! Life in Small Town, Texas....you just can't beat it!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'll be making the UGA trip , anyone else plan on going ?

Yes. This is one I've been looking forward to since I first saw it on the schedule. Athens is supposed to be a fantastic college town with a great music scene.

• Upvote 1

I've got a group of three tentatively planning on making this one.

Sweet

I think I'll have at least 2 more brosephs making trip with me. Wife was going to come , but she said something about being 8 months pregnant by then ... Like that's my problem

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I suppose it's just the battered North Texas fan in me... But reading that article all I could think about is how generic you have to get when you're set on writing a non negative piece about UNT football.

It may seem generic to those of us who could recite it all in our sleep, but since it's the first time our teams meet and many UGA fans probably don't follow North Texas football or history at all, it's a nice little introduction. I'd like to think that our team surprises everyone and wins this game, but at the very least it would be nice to see them competitive, a la the K-State game from last year.

I've been trying to talk Tasty into this trip as well

Talk, nothing. Been planning on it since the game was announced. I thought we were carpooling.

CBL, if you decide to come through Atlanta for the game, we can save you a rental car and pick you up at the airport.

Talk, nothing. Been planning on it since the game was announced. I thought we were carpooling.

CBL, if you decide to come through Atlanta for the game, we can save you a rental car and pick you up at the airport.

With the pregnancy, it may mean flying for me.